Will Series 3 thermostat housing replace Series 1

Hah. Are you kidding? Tell me about it!
That is the best diagram around and clearest I could possibly make it!

Never ceases to amaze me the Jaguar manuals (the only manuals I really know).
NO detailed information of any sort.

Yet I have a huge detailed section on the transmission(s) … ?!

The only thing better about this original S1 manual than the Haynes are the wiring diagrams in the back…and auto transmission…

And you know how they have these little hand drawings, little cut-out views simply stating “Location of xxx”

It doesn’t state WHERE it is located (at firewall beside brake reservoir, etc) nor does the drawing of, for example, headlight relay or vacuum tank, or whatever, reflect WHERE it is as it is merely a drawing of the item with nothing surrounding it to give any clue where it could be!!

You still have no idea where it is!? That always kills me…especially now when I am missing so many items.

Thanks as always for taking time Frank. Some helpful points to remember.
Thank you.

hmm…will figure it out. there ain’t much to it…
I AM also missing the heater valve, so…

I have none of the AC components either, which I don’t really care about now. Will plug those firewall connections properly with a brass plug considering someday I will do it.

No AC is something I have become accustomed to on Jaguars.

One day perhaps…

Aftermarket manuals are basically based on the proper Jaguar workshop manuals, Demian - usually abridged…

However, the complete work manuals are far to voluminous to be generally available - and what is available is directed towards fairly experienced mechanics, omitting finer points which is supposedly known by a mechanic. After all; Jaguar is a car - and only specific Jaguar details would be required…

A better source of parts information is the parts catalogue, but as with the workshop manuals; Jaguar did not meticulously track what went into individual cars (or just kept it in house), nor did they carefully update manuals. Adding that model year is no surefire way of identifying what should be there - Jaguar did not necessary upgrade with model year. To say nothing about the complications of PO actions…:slight_smile:

As you have a bastardised cooling set-up; strictly following workshop manuals probably leads nowhere - you have to stick to fundamentals on cooling system function…

Engine cooling will work perfectly without the heater system connected - that is a separate circuit. Pump must have a connection to the bottom of the radiator, there must be a thermostat - and a thermostat bypass to the pump, to ensure continuous flow though the block with thermostat closed. There must be an outlet form the cooling system to receive and return coolant as it expands and contracts.

Circulation coolant, block and radiator should be pressurized to 15 psi, mainly to prevent premature boiling - but the pressure makes no difference to the cooling effect. There should be vent pipes from high points, preferably radiator filler neck and header tank to a catchment tank, to prevent air locks. Which can be ‘manually’ vented during filling procedures - but if a system is leaking; air will collect during the heating cooling cycle…

Driving without a heater is of course a personal choice - but brrr here in winter…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)