Will the 2+2 ever get respect?

Several years ago I bought a “basket case” 1967 4.2L 2+2. I spent years and $$$$$ restoring it and I feel it was worth it. It has been very rewarding and fun to drive. I’ve not seen very many in concours or local shows which makes me wonder if it is really rare, or just not that popular.

I suspect it is like the XK series. People usually want the earliest and the cleanest design before the “improvements” and compromises changed it. The improved models are probably “worth more” to someone who is actually going to drive it but the market is not based on utility.

1 Like

I own a 2+2 specifically because it suits the way I use the car. It has all the pleasantries of a coupe, but additional cargo space if I take it on a trip. It may be a little less graceful, but I like it just fine.

6 Likes

I agree with you, mine is a driver. I have put about 10,000 miles on it since restoration was completed in 2009.

2 Likes

I agree I should not worry about the “market value” only the satisfaction value. I still get a lot of appreciation from people I drive by on the street. I guess that gives it street cred. :smiley:

2 Likes

Back in the day, I was offered a mint S1 2+2, but my heart was set on an FHC and nothing else would do. 5 years later, with a wife and 2 daughters 15 months apart, the FHC no longer cut the mustard, but a 2+2 could have lasted many more years. And, let’s face it, they only look slightly awkward when compared to an FHC, compared to anything else they are still gorgeous. In all other respects, at least as good as the others.

5 Likes

Were I ever to own an E-type again, it would be a 2+2.

3 Likes

FHC, OTS, 2+2 - when you’re driving the view is the same… looking out over that beautiful bonnet:

10 Likes

Exactly. Same pace, just trading a bit of grace for space.

4 Likes

ahh the clown shoe ha ha at least thats what I have heard people call it. The same price to restore as any other e type but worth probably less than half as much. Someday they will be highly desirable. I am in the middle of restoring mine now. :grinning:

1 Like

I just facilitated the sale of a 67 2+2. The guy that bought it told me he prefers them over the standard coupe.

3 Likes

I love mine…whats not to like?!

6 Likes

Great pics love it!

2 Likes

The 2+2 is a great car and not that common. Go out and try to by a nice Series 1 for example.

There was a time when I wouldn’t have wanted an S2 2+2 auto as a gift, but in today’s world it would probably be the most useable variant.

Back when I had more than a few hours on my hands, I built this matrix.
It is based on the productions as provided by Porter (one of his books) and roger Los’ website (XKEData.Com).
It’ll answer your question vis-a-is rarity

Production Numbers from Porter via Los.pdf (136.1 KB)

1 Like

There are no S1’s Robert,they started with 1 1/2 like this:
CIMG4180
CIMG4177
CIMG4240

…unless someone can show me otherwise… :smiley:

Edit.
I retract that statement sorry Robert!!
This from Wiki:
" A 2+2 version of the fastback coupé was added in 1966. The 2+2 offered the option of an automatic transmission. The body is 9 in (229 mm) longer and the roof angles are different. The roadster and the non 2+2 FHC (Fixed Head Coupé) remained as two-seaters.

Less widely known, right at the end of Series 1 production, but prior to the transitional “Series 1½” referred to below, a small number of Series 1 cars were produced with open headlights. These Series 1 cars had their headlights modified by removing the covers and altering the scoops they sit in, but these Series 1 headlights differ in several respects from those later used in the Series 1½ (or 1.5), the main being they are shorter at 143 mm from the Series 1½ at 160 mm.[44][45] Production dates on these machines vary but in right-hand drive form production has been verified as late as July 1968.[46] They are not “rare” in the sense of the build of the twelve lightweights, but they are certainly uncommon; they were not produced until January 1967 and given the foregoing information that they were produced as late as July 1968, it appears that there must have been an overlap with the Series 1.5 production, which began in August 1967 as model year 1968 models.[47] These calendar year/model year Series 1 E-Types are identical to other 4.2-litre Series 1 examples in every respect except for the open headlights; all other component areas, including the exterior, the interior, and the engine compartment are the same, with the same three SU carburettors, polished aluminium cam covers, centre dash toggle switches, etc.[48]"

Anyhoo thats my S 1 1/2.

2 Likes

In 1966, Jaguar made 2+2s that had:

• toggle dashes
  • covered headlights
  • triple SUs.

That’s the one I want, but, of course, they are as scarce as rocking horse poop!

1 Like

S1 2+2 manual was the first E Type I actually drove. The owner was an old school friend, he offered it to me for $6,500, which was a bit much. Going rate for a tidy FHC at the time was $5-$5500. He later crashed it into a powerpole; they couldn’t find any new curly hub wheels for it, so he ended up with a full new set of forged hubs. Dark blue with blue leather, beautiful car.

2 Likes