Will XJ40 Engine and Tranny transfer into series 1 xj6

Anyone have success transferring an XJ40 engine and transmission into older series XJ6’s?

Don,

make a search for “FrankenJag”. Aarnoud put a supercharged XJ40 engine into his Coupé.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto

It would be tricky to get the ECU harness all working. But, using the engine with the '88’89 ZF4HP22 gearbox would be easiest, as the gearbox doesn’t use an ECU like the 1990-1994 type does.
Use engine mounts from an XJS that has an AJ6 engine. A return fuel line would be needed, and lots of other work-arounds.
Rob

Thanks. I assume the return line is for the fuel injection and that didn’t show up into the series 2. I can get my hands on a 92 XJ6 fairly cheap and thought it might be a better alternative than a Chevy V8 conversion.

Admirable sentiment, Don…

…but the AJ116 engine is designed for fuel injection. Which requires a full transplant of the xj 40 engine management wiring and components for performance equal to, or better than, the xk…

Transplant success can be achieved, of course - but it is no walk in the park…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Over the years there have been several such engine swaps, successful and, in the end, deemed worthwhile.

As is so often the case, and as others have touched on, physically mounting the engine and transmission in place is actually the fastest, easiest part. Working thru the details is what gobbles up time and effort.

Having the donor car alongside the recipient car, or readily accessible, is a real plus.

I went through this in transforming my Series III XJ6 into a Series III XJ12. Setting the engine in place was a cakewalk. The small changes took seemingly forever.

Cheers
DD

Ask the man who owns one.

I’ve done this conversion and yes the engine fits in very well indeed. I was very lucky to have some instructions from Gunnar Larsson who may still be active here on how to do it. (he had created a PDF which I no longer have a copy of - but I do have a word document where I had Google translated the contents - let me know if you want a copy).

Engine management isn’t too much of an issue - its fairly standalone. That said the simpler the car the better I transplanted a 3.6L which has a non computer controlled transmission. 4.0L are more complex and supercharged versions are very difficult.

As Doug has stated above its the small things which are the killer - running return fuel (I adapted a Series 2/3 fuel injection system to work) there’s no speedo drive on an AJ6 transmission so if you like the original instruments you need to get creative (eventually I installed a later diff with an electronic speed sensor this is connected to a Cable X converter).

That said its a great conversions which I’d definitely recommend.

1 Like