Wilmot Breeden Union Key Series

Hi,

Yes, should be pretty easy with the barrel out and the plates visible if they just have a blank that fits.

Cheers!

My XK120, built December 1950, has an MRN key. No reason for me to believe the barrel has been changed in the last 70 years

Hi,

Probably very true, especially if you have the same for the fuel filler lid and the trunk handle?

Cheers!

I’ve just bought a 1936 1.5 litre SS. Complete but in poor condition. I know little about these cars or about this car. It has what appear to be all its original handles, off the car but the right design. The drivers door handle has MRN 3 stamped on it. No idea of make. I bought an MRN 3 key on Ebay last week (£2.50). Oiled the lock, works perfectly. I have to look at ignition key number. I cant get at the boot lock yet.

Hi Terry,

I’m surprised that your driver’s door has an MRN lock but that is good. Originally I would expect all your locks to be Bilfix which are rather fragile and keys are very difficult to find for them.

Peter

Externally Bilfix locks as above are subtly different from the MRN or FNR series fitted to later Jaguars.

With any luck your ignition and boot locks will also have been replaced with a later series.

Peter

Hi
Well…all the handles are off the car, and i know somebody used bits of it as a parts-car. The interior handles left with this car, (wherever they had come from) had been wrenched off by somebody who didnt know there was a pin through them, breaking off parts of the back barrel with the pin hole.
But…the handles all seem to be proper pattern, from what i can see in pics elsewhere.
Mine is a very early 1936…(said to be maybe the earliest left in UK) so maybe the handles are from another model .
Will send pics

Regards
TD

Peter. Car is in a poor state now, but mileometer shows only 15K. Dirty engine bay makes it hard to believe that’s genuine, but head was off (probably to take the alloy head) and there is no wear at all in the bores and i think std pistons. Interior all taken out, but tatty seats and OK door cards are there. I suspect someone took the interior out for their car (possibly a '37) and left all the tatty parts in their place, including the handles. I can see the keyhole is indented in my photo. Petrol not available in WWII, so, many cars were laid up in 1939 and never ran again. Terry

That’s great that your driver’s door is MRN. I hope your boot and ignition are the same.

Here’s a factory illustration of the 1937 handles and they look the same as those in the later cars. There are two varieties of the door handle, one with the square socket at 45 degrees and the other at 90. I cant remember which is rear and which front. The XK120 used these too but not the window winder.

Peter

my handles and door cards are like these…
TD

Yes, those continued in all the saloons up to and including the MkIV. I think Ashwater Forge make them. http://www.ashwater-classics.co.uk/

Peter