Window closing buttons

Hi everyone, the buttons shown in the picture only work to close but not to open the windows, so there is a false contact in the keys … but how do you disassemble this keyboard? Thanks for the support.

Can not tell you how to dismount the switches, but want to make a few suggestions - 1) make sure battery is disconnected, that is, remove the negative cable from the battery so that you do not inadvertently operate the window during the switch removal - 2) very carefully look at the position, and wire color, of the connectors, which will help on reassembly - 3) watch for the possibility of finding a disconnected wire during the removal process (which may be the problem cause) - 4) once the switches are exposed, and the wire connectors are not touching any surrounding areas, reconnect the negative lead at the battery - 5) using a test wire, place a path connection across the wire terminals to verify that the window will operate correctly - if the window does operate correctly, then the problem is the switch, if the window does not operate correctly, then the problem is in the wiring circuit - this will help you decide weather to repair, or replace, the switch - Tex.

Give the switches a good spray with contact cleaner, work them back and forth a few times and see if that sorts it out.

ok … but how do I get to the contacts? … how to disassemble it … it looks like a single block

Just spray it in from the top and work the controls back and forth, it will find it’s way in.

Its a looong time since I was in the switch pack of a β€˜40.
First you I need to remove the switch pack from the door.
There are small screws a holding a clamp for the wires, remove this.
Next you will need to prise back 4 tabs to release the inner section. Once inside its not too hard top fathom out how the rest comes out.
The relays are double throw meaning there are contact on both sides. The power flows through the back of one relay to the front contacts so you will need to clean both contact faces.
DO NOT be fooled by checking for continuity by homing the relays, BTDT they can ohm out ok but they will not carry the required amps.
Hope this helps, I did have a series of photos but they have disappeared into the ether.

1 Like

Hello Max - while trying to find some information for you, for the removal of the window switch, I found that the 1988 to 1994 XJ40 and X300 series used the same master driver window switch pack - possibly by asking on the X300 section of this forum you will get some help - here are 5 pictures of the switch pack, that looks the same as your picture, in which you can see that all the switches are mounted within one housing - the 5th picture shows the part number DBC2887 - (I found these pictures on the Ebay site searching for Jaguar window switch - this is listed as item # 264979554852) - Tex.

Max, check out this series of photos from the photo album on the old jag-lovers.org site:

https://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1367425740

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Nice archive research Mike - I did not know how to get backwards to those pictures to help Max - guess now he just needs still to find out how to actually remove the unit from the door - looks like it has to be unscrewed from the back side of the door panel, but not sure - Tex.

Grazie a tutti ragazzi!