Window closure on fob

How do i program my alarm fob to close the windows and sunroof when arming the alarm they close if you lock the doors with the key but not with the fob

Phil,

I didn’t know you could achieve that on an XJ40 with the key fob - but I only owned the car for 20 years! :slight_smile:

I can do that with my Range Rover by re-pressing the lock button within a few seconds of locking/alarming the doors but I don’t remember being able to do it on the Jag.

If it is possible on an XJ40, perhaps it is a ‘dealer programmed’ function? Anyone know?

We need to clarify what year car you have. My 1990 (and the 1989s as well) only had an infrared “fob” that only served to lock and unlock the doors. There was no alarm on these cars from the factory but you are right, holding the key in the door in the lock position will close the windows and sunroof known as “global closing” in Jaguar speak…

John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Its a 93
cheers phil

This feature wasn’t available as you describe. The key fob had some dealer set options but that wasn’t one of them. You can close all of the Windows and sunroof by turning the key in the lock to the far right and holding it there Dealer set options were remote trunk release and headlight activation. Mine has headlight activation after locking if I press the fob again. I don’t have remote trunk release though. I don’t even think at this point the local Jaguar dealer would be able to program it, since they’ve most likely gotten rid of the PDU or JDS computers.

OK - found it! :slight_smile:

In the dealer ‘Technical Guide’ to the introduction of the 1993 Model Year cars it informs that 'Programmable ECUs ’ (PECUS) are introduced in the '93 MY which allow certain features to be ‘dealer programmable’ at customer request depending upon the vehicle specification and recognising “the legislation requirements of the territory in which the vehicle is sold”.

In Section 7 of that document, one such feature in the newly introduced factory fit Security System is the ability to program in Radio Frequency (RF) window and sunroof ‘All Close’ using the key fob - BUT, that facility is stated NOT to be available in North America.

The advance information contained in the early ‘Technical Guide’ emphasises that it may not result in all of the features described therein being carried forward in to the actual specifications for the '93 MY cars when they are produced.
I have since scoured the specification sheets for the '93 MY cars and although mentioning the RF key fob transmission for central locking and alarm setting etc, it makes NO mention of the window and sunroof ‘All Close’ feature described in that ‘Technical guide’.

I can only assume that they dropped the idea - unless anyone on here has a late model XJ40 with that feature?

Hi Bryan,
My old 94 Sovereign had that feature and so does my current 93 XJR.

If any of the windows ( including the sunroof on the Sov ) are left open when the key fob is pressed to lock the car and set the alarm they all automatically close. Both cars came to me with this feature already programmed, I just always assumed it was a standard thing and thought they all did that !
Unfortunately I have no idea how to set it up this way so can’t really help Phil, but at least he now knows it’s possible.

Thanks Casso for clearing that up.

I guess if Phil is in North America, that feature is not available to him. But I have no idea why!

Thanks folks
Im in uk but at least i know its possible, have to find out how to do it now

My car is a 3/1994 MY and I checked this function a couple of weeks ago. All the windows and the sunroof stayed in the open position after I activated the alarm by the fob. But some years ago an interesting thing happened. The passenger front door actuator stopped working. All the doors locked but this one. In this scenario I left all the windows and sunroof open then alarmed the car by the fob and everything closed. I’ll check if the same happens if I unplug the same door actuator then report back.
Cheers!

Joe, I think I’ll stick to using the key! :smile:

Larry, that’s a wise decision to use the key. I tried it and it worked. But unplugging the actuator did not do the trick. If I still have a used front actuator, I’ll try with that one.