Window sealing strips

Hi Everyone

I am tarting up the interior of my MK2, and while I had the door cards off I was thinking of changing the rubber seals on the outside of the windows and the furry door glass seals on the inside. The inside looks easy, but I cannot quite see how to remove the outer ones.

The outer seals on the front are secured by screws in the window aperture (I can access 3 of the 4 with the glass all the way down), but also seems to be secured under the front quarter light - can’t see.
The back window appears to be a slide on attachement - bit like a J slot, as the wondow is in front of the attachment. It also seems attached under the NDV, but I cant see.
In both the front and the back the rubber seems to be attached to the chrome strip on the outside of the car.

Simple question - are there more screws/slide on clips under the quarter light and NDV, and if so I assume whe whole wondow frame has to come out to change the seal?

Regards
David

Front
thumbnail_IMG_6335

Rear
thumbnail_IMG_6337

There are two types, and from your description it seems you have the later type with the rubber integral to the chrome strip.

If that is the case, then the forward most screw/rivet is indeed under the front of the window frame (under the quarter light). That means you will have to raise the window frame to access it. You could try unbolting the bottom two bolts, and then removing the ones securing the frame to the door and lifting the frame to access the screw/rivet. The window frame should be shimmed on both the bottom bolts and underneath the chrome strip which fastens to the door. If you can’t lift it enough to access the screw/rivet then it’s a window frame out job.

I replaced my rubbers recently- but if a faff of a job, but with the chrome strip off, it’s easy to do on a bench.

Thanks Brian

I have ordered the rubber, hope its the right stuff, and will have a go when I am sure I can finish the job!

Regards
David

1 Like

I have a 1966 MK2 and have the same felt strip on the outside of the glass as the inside. This leaves a gap for water to enter in front of the glass. I have ordered the other rubber strips but cant see how they are fitted. Could you post a picture of the rubber strips from the outside. Also if you a picture of how the strips are held in place it looks like a metal strip. But i have read they are held by the external chrome. If will take the car apart in the winter. Thanks

Hi Brian and Stewart.

Brian, you were quite right the front screw is under the frame, but by lifting the frame just a little you can loosen and the chrome strip slides out backwards. This was the easy bit. Where I struggled was one screw on the front door has a rubber thing over it (stops door glass vibrating when open?) and that is behind the glass. On the drivers door there was enough room to remove, but on the passenger door the glass had to come out. Getting the frame and glass out was not so bad when I worked it out. It looks like both back doors will need the glass to come out completely as the glass does not go all the way down.

Stewart, the two front doors are done, so can’t take a picture now, but I still have the rear ones to do so will take a phot when I get to it - about a week I think. The rubber seal is shaped to slide into the chrome, or is it stainless?, strip. That is a bit if a faff and needed quite a lot of washing up liquid to lubricate. I would imagine that the chrome needs to be the right profile underneath.
If you do remove the frame you also need mastic sealing tape for under the frame when putting back together. I found that “CANOPUS Heavy Duty Black Butyl Tape Waterproof” worked from Amazon in UK.

Cheers
David

1 Like

I am many months away from doing it so will look forward to your photo’s. My car only goes out in the sunshine.

1 Like

I replaced my felt weather strips using replacements from DM in UK. The originals were held together with galvanised steel strip but the modern version is mild steel so within days of fitting (after removing the window frames) these start to rust. The outside strip leaves a large gap to the glass so water just floods into the door.
I have tried to design a rubber strip that can be held in place by the older chrome strip rivets but so far no joy. Another idea to be tried is to fix a strip of plastic (Mylar) inside the door on the glass below the weather strip which diverts the water towards the outside skin and not in towards the door card. The water then goes straight out of the drain holes. I have water getting in through the door look actuator holes even though I have sealed these up - unsuccessfully. The water then sits behind the plastic sheeting and cannot escape. My car; if it goes out; invariably gets very wet here!

Hi Stewart

Here is a picture of the rear outer seal in the chrome strip and the new rubber to show the profile.
The rears are actually easier to remove as you just need to loosen the screw at the rear under the window frame and the chrome will slide off, see L slots.

Hope this helps
David

1 Like