Window wipe seal sticking

I just changed my inner/outer wipe seals on my OTS and an old problem has started all over. I’ve had problems in the past with them folding under and binding when rolling the window down. It doesn’t just make it irksome to drop the window. I think it puts a lot of extra wear on the regulator/winder. Last time I just kept wiping the inside of the seal with talc powder, and that made it work a bit better. Ultimately it took years to take a set, and work smoothly, mostly because it got hard and was worn out.

Anyone have any better tips?

Mine started doing that as the weather warmed up this spring. Only occasionally though so I’ve not tried to eliminate it.

Is’t this one of those things that rubbing with a bar of soap will fix?
LLoyd

A step backward, after making a wrong turn, is a step in the right direction.

Kurt Vonnegut

Maybe but soap would smear on the window. I think I made some progress by applying Rain-X to the glass. I also put some on a piece of manila folder paper and slid it between the glass and the seal to coat the rubber. Much joy.

About 2 hours ago I tried a silicone spray lubricant on a paper towel and wiped on the side of the wipe that window touches. Better but not perfect. it didn’t streak the window either.

1 Like

Erica. There was a discussion about just this problem on the UK forum a few months ago. Don’t remember what the fix was (getting old is a b****} but you may want to run a search on that site.

1 Like

It will take several applications. I did this on the four doors (electric windows) on our XJ6 when I fiitted new wiper seals. They took a while to settle down - now they’re fine. Used an Inox product IIRC. Paul

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I’ll keep applying some periodically.

1 Like