Window wipers, "parking position"

I owe an XJS build in 1987 for the USA market. Now it is in the Netherlands in my garage.

I have a problem with the window wipers. They wipe as they should, but after switching off the wipers will not return to their parking position.

Any suggestions please ?

Usually a stalk switch problem. Try applying a bit of load to the stalk in one direction or another, perhaps toward the driver or perhaps toward the lowest speed. If you can find a position where it does park properly, it’s the stalk switch.

Unfortunately, even a brand new switch may have the same problem. It’s due to a contact panel inside the switch getting distorted, and it can get distorted sitting on the shelf. Better fix is to find a way to reinforce the panel, but that involves some creativity.

I have the same problem on my 1988. I simply change the wipers to delay wiping, and then turn them off when they’re temporarily parked. PITA, but it works.

1 Like

My 1987 XJ-S also has the same problem. Replacing the wiper switch did not solve the issue nor did replacing the park switch do any good… After disassembling the drive box found there ‘was’ a plastic ramp on the back side of the gear which had broken off. This ramp is what I believe engages the park switch causing the motor to revers and stop in the park position.
Sorry I did not have camera in garage when doing this repair.
For me I just turn the wipers of when they get close the the windshield pillar.

Everybody thanks for the input.
The problem is still not solved. In the Netherlands the parking operation of the wipers is an item to pass the MOT inspection.
Is there a possibility with an additional switch to park the wipers?
If yes, has anybody an electric scheme?
A connection scheme of the wiper motot is helpfull too!

The problem is still not resolved :expressionless:
Is there a way to check for the correct operation of the wiper unit, especially the parking operation?
Which slot in the connector (see picture) is for what?

Diagram attached. Disconnect, and check the park position on the switch first. It’s most likely the issue.
Lucas wipers.pdf (25.5 KB)

1 Like

Don’t overlook the park/run contacts inside the wiper motor itself.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the scheme.
I see codes like KLG, WLG BLG etc. on this scheme. Could you please give me the explaination of these codes?
Thanks in advance.

K pink
B black
LG light green (actually, L in front of any other letter means light)
U blue
R red
W white
O orange
N brown
S slate
Y yellow
P purple

And be careful. Jaguar does NOT follow DIN color coding. As an example, on Jags, Brown is 12v. On DIN, it’s earth/ground. The difference can get you in trouble quickly if you aren’t careful.

YES! I was looking for the red 12V wire once, wondered what the odd brown wire was. I soon found out!

It’s adhering to BSI standards - BS-AU7.

We’re just lucky Jaguar saw fit to make the XJS negative ground, unlike earlier British cars with positive ground. But I’m so used to brown being ground on German cars, I have to really change my mindset on the Jag.

Thanks for all your help.
But the connections on my wipermoter assy does not match the colours on the scheme jal5678 sent me.
On the scheme all connecting wires are a combination of Light Grey (LG) and another colour, whilst on the wiper motor I see only uni colours .

The wiper side won’t match. They should, on the car side, up to the bulkhead connector. They did not carry the color codes over on the wiper assembly side for some reason. The wiper switch color codes match.