Windscreen Vents

Dear list,

My car has no windscreen ducts, nor pipes from the twin outlet of the heater to the chrome vents.

I am trying to build something as these are clearly unattainable, but cannot work out how the thing was routed originally in a FHC 120.

Anyone would be so kind to as to post pictures?

Ll.

For our 1952 FHC we were able to buy ducts from Welsh or Moss. Do not remember which. They also had the vents that fit the distal end of the ducts and mated to the dash slit. The car is not here now, but do a search on this forum for the vents and you will see some pictures.

Did all cars have them…?

It looks like the end of a vacuum cleaner. Probably wouldn’t be too hard to make if you’re good at tube and sheet steel fabrication.

The hoses ran up through a couple of big oval holes in the dashboard support panel.

I believe all cars with heaters had them. Just not early 120 OTS.

All XK120 FHC’s had them including 679002 except these were from a MKV and slightly different in shape than those on later 120fhc’s

Many thanks,

A kind lister will ship me two from a Mk VII (thanks). I see that the air channels go from the heater to the vents through the box section adjacent to the bulkhead. Is this correct?

Would anyone have a template of the bottom (wood? cardboard) plate under the dashboard? As mine is cut I will not be able to get the air channels pass.

Many thanks.

Ll.

By the way, talking (as in the dedicated thread) of using the XK: they will be salting the roads next week here, so I took the opportunity to drive the XK this week, under quite heavy rain. Other than a single leak (possibly windscreen rubber) the only problem was fogging. I hope this will solve it.

It is made of 1/8" plywood.
IMG_20200609_114802208

Hi Ll,
The MK 7 vents are identical but will need a couple metal tangs added that will attach it to the dash top. I did that to a pair of MK 7 vents for my car. They will need to be adjusted to line up with the slots in the dash top, a finicky job. The usuals supply the replacement hose in PVC, versus the spiral wound cardboard that was originally used. The routing is somewhat obvious when you have everything assembled, as there is only one way it will fit.

Winter here in New England has been mild so far this year and I have driven my coupe regularly, a couple times this week, totaling around a hundred miles, at nite and in the sunny daytime. The heater works adequately and actually does get rid of fog on the windscreens. I have LED headlamps that draw very little current and the generator stays up with the draw of the heater blower and lights with no issue. I’m seeing some snow possible this upcoming weekend but we may luck out and miss it.

Tom Brady

Hi Ll,
Here are some pix:

Tom Brady

The ducts I purchased are cardboard and spiral wire similar to the original. If you are trying to do this with the dash in the car, you will have your patience and manual dexterity tested. Even more so if the seats are in the car. You will need an assistant, preferably one who is supple and young. A right angle screw driver attachment will be a huge help if the windshield is, also, in the car.

I teresting discussion, I need a pair of those for my MkVII, car was originally delivered to Rhodesia, no heater fitted as it was not considered necessary in the tropics!

Many thanks to all. With your help i managed to route period looking duct to the openings and put together a crude diffusor while waiting for the one i just bought from a fellow lister. It is already a significant improvement

TBRADY312… Off topic, but…what brand LED headlamps do you have?

Hi Dave,
I have 7" Lucas LHD lamp units (without sidelight) and with ULTIMATE LED H4 bulbs from dynamoregulatorconversions.com. These are a direct replacement for three prong sealed beam or standard 7" Lucas bulb style headlamps. The H4 bulbs have been developed for excellent light pattern without shadows, that other bulbs produce. Also they do not have a fan or a funky pigtail, they just fit up like the original lamps. The light produced is like on a modern car, and the current draw is far less.

Tom Brady