Windscreen washers XK150 FHC

Does anyone know the reason for the hole in the dimple at the bottom of the glass reservoir metal container. The hole is in the center of the dimple. My car does not have a matching hole in the engine bay wall or witness of a previous bolt. Should it have a rubber buffer? The whole assembly looks a bit ‘wobbly’ only held at the top by two 10 UNF bolts. Perhaps that is to avoid giving the glass a hard ride as would be the case with a hard mounting.

That hole is for the 3rd distance piece and screw. I assume you do not have a parts manual but that is fully covered. Of course that does not explain why you do not have a hole so perhaps the hole has been covered over or it was not put in. In either case it would be “wobbly” with only the top two and suggest a third be drilled. That said there are a lot of holes in the side panels of an XK–is there any chance you are placing it in or at the wrong set of holes?

George,
the bracket is definitely in the correct place and the original and replacement (Barratt’s) bracket are the same. The engine bay wall looks pristine and original with no holes near. Bernard Viart’s book doesn’t show anything nor any of the parts catalogs - hence my confusion. Barratt’s were unable to help with my question.

Mike

Mike the XK150 parts manual(s) do show 3 screws and 3 distance pieces. I made the guess you do not have a factory parts catalog–if you do you should look at SPC J29/1 (date Dec. 1960) pp.421-423 and plate 78. The parts are;

Bracket C10127/3
Screw, set securing reservoir UFS. 419/8H X 3 ea
Distance piece on setscrews C 4551 x 3ea
UNF.119/L Nut on setscrews x 3ea
Washer shakeproof under nuts C.723 x 3ea.

I took a quick look at the TSBs and SPBs and found no change. Perhaps there was an undocumented change but in the 5 XK150s I have restored there were 3 mount points–and had there not been I would have placed the 3rd for exactly the same reason you initially stated.