Windscreen wiper dance

Hello

My MK2’s windscreen wipers have started doing a strange little dance.

On the slow setting, even with a Rain-X’d and wet windscreen it goes like this:
Step/wipe 1: Starts with a click and then the wipers go up to about vertical
Step/wipe 2: No click and the wipers go all the way over
Then everything repeats, and it is quite regular

On the fast setting with a wet screen it starts working well and then when the screen dries it behaves like the slow setting above.

When switching the wipers off from either speed they go up to about half way and then park, no matter what they were doing before.

What do you reckon I should start with - the motor or the rack, any ideas?

Thanks
David

Sounds like a rack issue , maybe the cogs /gears are work !
You may just be able to take the cover off , and get some one to work them , may see a issue ,
Don’t think springs cogs and gears and cables will come flying out :grin:

I use a mirror to see such things , saves bending over too much !

1 Like

hard old grease can be troublesome as well polarity switch and little copper park switch inside motor. good used ones are available.

Hi

Thanks for original remarks, and it was a shock that I asked this question 2 years ago and have only now got round to working more on it.
I lubricated everything, it all seems to move well.
I took the cover off and thing I understand a little better what is happening now.
When wiping the wipers move in the right direction and the sweep angle looks good. As soon as I switch the wipers off the motor runs in reverse and does the funny dance. Is this reverse motion normal? I thought that the motor should keep going in the same direction until the wipers park?

I have checked the wiring that I disturbed - all the colours make sense (I even got s non-colour blind missus to double check my work!). I am wondering if the car was swapped from positive to negative earth and that might have messed things up with my reconnections?
Any ideas?

Regards
David

Reverse park is a common thing and for the XJ6 the press called it the St. Vitus‘ dance. It reverses and that activates the park switch at the end of travel.

If it stops and starts and does all kind of off things the brushes are questionable. In my case it had some intermittent stops and the reason was a greasy brush that was stuck. Brake cleaner fixed it. I‘d inspect the brushes first if operation isn’t smooth.

Thanks David

On a MK2 should the motor reverse to go to the park position?

Regards
David

I don’t know about the Mk2, sorry David

For what it’s worth on my 3.8S they do that little dance which I guess is the reversing action before they park. I would guess the Mark II is the same.