Windscreen wiper motor harness bulkhead connector

The connector, on my 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, has some green corrosion between the pins - section 84.70.25, of my service manual, states the renewal procedure of the connector, with the advice to secure the harness from falling into the bulkhead - the problem I have is that I am not able to remove the connector from the harness plug due to a very tight fit of the bottom sleeve (of the connector ) over the harness plug -this sleeve portion appears to be possibly a slightly flexible plastic or rubber - are there any former Jaguar service technicians available to offer a method for the removal of the connector without destroying the bottom sleeve - my goal is to remove the connector from the harness so that I can clean the visible corrosion and check for possible corrosion on the harness side of the connector - attempts of prying, with a flat blade tip screwdriver, only temporarily stretches the sleeve, but does not allow for any removal of the connector from the harness plug - since the service manual states that this is a “renewal” procedure, I am wondering if the sleeve must be cut for allowance of removal, thereby depleting any weather sealing provision so reuse is not an option, and a new connector is expected to be fitted - the corrosion within the connector was located while doing a troubleshooting search for wiper non-operation - thanks, Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 6/9/2020 2327hrs. EDT USA.

I would first try cleaning the connector whilst still in place. You should be able to get a good spray conector cleaner, with a flexible tube, in there and plug/unplug a few times to clean the pins. If you need to take the connector off, and have to cut the sleeve, you should be able to use heatshrink tubing to rewrap the end of the sleeving.

Hello CosmoXL - thank you for your response - I did not think that the spray cleaner would work well enough - I also figured that there may be corrosion on the reverse side of the connector - I was able to finally separate the connector from the bulkhead harness end using a prying method, with the flat end of a screwdriver - I did find that there is some corrosion on the pins of the connector that connect to the harness - I will look for a large size piece of heat shrink to use to reseal, when reinstalling, as you suggested - I will attempt to post photos of the corrosion condition, and the cleaned condition, when I am done - guess this has been known to occur, therefore a renewal process was indicated in the service manual - thanks, Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 6/1/2020 1002hrs.

Took a while before I could get back to the cleaning of the wiper motor harness connector, on my 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, but I was able to clean the pins on both sides of the connector - my wipers are now working in good condition (the wipers were very slow to operate, and then the wipers no longer worked) - here are the photos of the corrosion on the pins, on both sides of the connector, and then the cleaned pins of the connector - I also cleaned the sockets of the harness, and the sockets of the wiper motor plug connector - I used a fingernail emery board to clean the connector pins and the plug sockets -

Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 7/24/2020 1312hrs. EDT USA.

The Brits and their high quality solid brass terminals. I’d suggest you throroughly coat all those terminals with connector grease during reassembly.

Hello Kirbert - I had considered the possibility of using some protective coating, on the pins and/or the plugs, but since there was not any mention of doing this, as per the renewal procedure, for the bulkhead connector, in the service manual, I did not use any grease coating - attached is a photo of the service manual procedure -

Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 7/24/2020 1409hrs. EDT USA.

That’s so you can enjoy doing it again in a few years.

What type of “grease” are you suggesting to use on the connector pins - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 7/24/2020 1415hrs. EDT USA.

https://www.google.com/search?q=electrical+connector+grease&oq=electrical+connector+grease&aqs=chrome..69i57.11462j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear-oil/lubricant-grease/ags-dielectric-connector-protector-0-14oz/868167_0_0?spps.s=2455&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:PER:71700000060527801&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjer4BRCZARIsABK4QeWZiTZut3bOEXBvW10VhCtfsV1lXg-E6trctZSv6d08xqrTKBKYI3waAlOyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks Kirbert - I will look at the link you provided and attempt to locate the electrical connector grease - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 7/24/2020 1527hrs. EDT USA.

Hey Terry. I usually get the dielectric at Advance Auto or Auto zone. All the car parts places usually have it.