Windscreen wipers will not turn off, even with ignition off

Hi I am new to the Jag forum and have a 1990 Daimler that has suddenly developed a windscreen wiper problem. I can not turn them off even with the ignition switch turned off. I had to disconnect the connector from the wiper motor .

Keith,

Welcome to the forum.

You will find that most XJ40 problems you meet will have been reported in the past and the answer may be found by using the ‘search’ facility to access the XJ40 archives. Here is a typical example which relates to the failure of the wipers to stop when you switch them off ;-

I hope this helps because on your '90 model, the wiper gearbox/micro-switch is readily accessible.

Keith,

Just dug this out from the Photo Album which may be the reason your wipers continue running if it is not the micro-switch adjustment ;-
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1208848376

Thank you for the information. I will have a look at the micro switch and make appropriate repairs.

Your problem could also be the microswitch. I too had a problem with my 1991 Jaguar XJ6 and the wiper was running intermittently even with the ignition off. Also it wouldn’t park the wiper normally. The original OEM microswitch is an Omron V-16-1C24, however, good luck finding one anywhere. After much research I found an Omron SPDT V-15-1C25 which is readily available and the same physical size and very cheap about $3.00 CDN on EBay.

It is an easy fix. Disconnect battery. Cover is easily removed with 4 torx screws. Microswitch sits on a plastic tray with only one plastic pin but be very careful prying the microswitch up and away from the plastic tray. Plastic serrated ring with bumper cam appears to friction fit over central plastic knob. Park your wiper normally using the battery and then disconnect again. After replacing the microswitch, adjust the tray with the micro switch by loosening the screw and moving the tray until the microswitch makes full contact with the cam at the park position. You can test operation with the cover off and the battery connected. Replace cover. Done.

Paul

I usually repair the motor cam/switch and THEN cut the (Blue wire I think???) main feed wire and install an in-line fuse in case of emergency.

I can then just pull the fuse until I can make a proper repair at a later date.

Easier than disconnecting the battery if the motor won’t STOP!!!

bob

1 Like