Windshield Wiper Micro Switch

PGF91XJ6PAUL FORRAYI

Nov '17

Faulty microswitch. I had a problem with my 1991 Jaguar XJ6 and the wiper was running intermittently even with the ignition off. Also it wouldn’t park the wiper normally. The original OEM microswitch is an Omron V-16-1C24, however, good luck finding one anywhere. After much research I found an Omron SPDT V-15-1C25 which is readily available and the same physical size and very cheap about $3.00 CDN on EBay.

It is an easy fix. Disconnect battery. Cover is easily removed with 4 torx screws. Microswitch sits on a plastic tray with only one plastic pin but be very careful prying the microswitch up and away from the plastic tray. Plastic serrated ring with bumper cam appears to friction fit over central plastic knob. Park your wiper normally using the battery and then disconnect again. After replacing the microswitch, adjust the tray with the micro switch by loosening the screw and moving the tray until the microswitch makes full contact with the cam at the park position. You can test operation with the cover off and the battery connected. Replace cover. Done.

Paul

1 Like

Thank You! Good work

Good repair, my plastic gear cracked and was not always rotating with shaft anymore… we saved it by micro drilling and pinning it to center shaft with musical instrument wires… now cam firmly locked to main shaft… the micro switch… good price you got on Ebay also good to check industrial electronic parts suppliers MOUSER and DIGIKEY they both sell that switch too and accommodate small electronic parts orders. Long live the Jag!

My apologies for hijacking this thread, but…

Does anyone know where to obtain the small plastic gear referenced in 2tonejag’s post above? Mine is also cracked and I need a replacement. My attempt to lock it to the shaft was unsuccessful.

Have you considered using an adhesive such as JB Weld? BTW all cam’s (the one with the lobe) have a split directly opposite the lobe and are friction fit. See my original photo.

AB Electrolux wiper motor made in Swede. JB Weld might have a hard time with the white plastic unless it is roughed up… not sure if it’s NYLON or other plastic… it was the wipers Achiles heel kinda poor design… made in Sweden maybe a similar year Volvo has some wiper motor and gears cam… you sure you cant drill a few holes and install some lengths of steel… musical instrument wire or guitar string wire…I believe I used piano wire that was around… its possible the manufacturer may sell a part but unlikely. JB weld check out the plastic joining version as regular JB is not for plastic
Image was my Wiper inspection of repair I did in 2015 image shown is from 2020 see the 2 musical instrument wire pins and epoxy though the clear epoxy has changed color. But 5 years latter still works good.

JB-Weld-Technical-Datasheet.pdf (325.8 KB)

I added to the post… How did you make out? Did you find a replacement part?