Windshield wiper rocker switch wiring

I have a 1969 2+2 XKE, 4.2 Passenger Coupe Vin # 1R42907BW.

My windshield wiper rocker switch has four terminal connections marked from the top end as you open the fuse panel 2, 4, 5, and 7 at the bottom end. I have four wires colored Red/Green, Green, Yellow/Green, and Blue/Green. I have no idea which wire goes to which terminal. The wiring diagrams have different colored wires. Please advise?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Does this help? Could the blue/green wire really be the brown/ light green wire in the diagram?

My notes on the subject (open in separate tab to enlarge):

1 Like

In addition to the diagram, here is pic of the wiring on my 69 S2:

Happened to see your reply regarding wiper rocker switch wiring. Not sure you will see this but I am having trouble with my windshield wiper. Your notes were excellent but I am not sure what the red/green wire is all about (and perhaps the limit switch wherever that is.)
My wipers worked fine a year ago on my 69 OTS. After a year in the paint shop, they don’t seem to move. Checked out the switch and, using your diagram, H register 12 V, and both I and G go to 12V when switch is activated. Not sure what F should do, voltage wise. Wondering where else I should look so thought I would ask
Thanks for any help.

Looking at my notes (no memory of making them of course) it appears that F may have 12V when the switch is off – providing power to operate the wipers until they park.

Since they worked before one possibility is that the motor seized up. Mine did that as a result of some moisture getting in it followed by sitting for a long spell. To free it I had to remove the unit, then remove the motor housing and clean things up:

Could be other things too.

I did but nearly missed it. To make it more likely someone sees that you have replied to their post use the ← Reply function at the lower right of the message instead of the blue box reply. That was they will get notified that you have replied to them.

Thanks. Will try that. Might check to see if wire is hot at motor.

Is it possible the relay is open or something like that?

I know of no relay on that circuit, just assorted switched power to the wiper motor.

You can do some checking at the plug for the motor if it is like mine that page of notes includes it. You may have to remove some of the throttle linkage to get to it.

There is a ground wire that possibly connects at the windscreen washer bracket (one of a pair?).

You might want to study the wiring diagram then make your own diagram just for the wiper motor. With that in hand you can confirm continuity in places and offer 12V in some spots to test the motor.

Early on you will want to confirm the motor isn’t seized and that the wipers aren’t stuck to the glass.

Will try to move The linkage by hand. No wipers in place yet. Just got car back from paint shop after a year :confused:. Just installed outside bonnet chrome. Perhaps I should loosen the nuts a bit…in fact, might de a good idea to spray some WD 40 on the linkages that I can get too.

i was looking at your motor assembly picture. Does that long arm require a disconnect under the dash? My car has a non functional AC unit which wouild require some major removal effort :face_with_hand_over_mouth:.
I don’t know if it is significant but I noticed the voltage at the switch reads about 11 volts as opposed to 12 or more.
Still struggling.

Yes, you drop the center panel and remove the cross piece that holds the flasher for the hazard lights, then you can disconnect it by removing the funny little clip.

Have towels stuffed in there since anything that falls into the depths will never be seen again. I may have even tied a length of dental floss to the clip for safety as it can launch a bit when pried off (the clip in unobtainium).

Then the whole thing can be snaked out (throttle linkage removed first):

But try to test and check everything you can before resorting to that.

So happy that it can be reached through center console. I was hoping to test motor or at least the leads before taking it motor out. doesn’t seem to be possible to get to motor wires unless you pull motor away from firewall.
Your pictures are awesome.

Well, I had some partial luck. As I mentioned in a previous note, the voltage looked a bit low at the switch so I put a battery charger on the car and then I tapped the motor a couple of times with a hammer. When I switched the fan on High, the motor began to move with a god-awful screech as the wipers moved. It settled down in a moment and the wipers appear to work on High. Not so lucky on Normal - nothing happens. For now, I am going to leave the system alone and live with the High setting. Too many other little things aren’t working well or at all. In fact, maybe I can get my fan motor working by banging on it.
I do want to thank you for all your guidance.