Wing (fender ) air vents dismantling

How do the air vent flaps and the inner sections etc come apart ? I can’t find any info on it.
Thanks Jim

Hi Jim:

I am in the process of re-finishing my boxes (well, you can just see the inside of the passenger side when you are in the driver’s seat, right!?), In the photos the first shows 4 of the six slot headed machine screws that hold the box to the wing; the second shows the vent screen which is held on be a couple of tiny screws (yes it should be painted body colour, but I like the brass finish) plus the door which is bolted with 2 5/16" nuts and flat washers to the arm; the third shows the vent door opening, the plate to which the door bolts and the cotter pin securing the pivot arm.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks Chris
does the inner box come out easily?

Hi Jim:

Sorry, I haven’t got that far! As I am only interested in cleaning up and re-painting I may not remove the whole unit, as with the screen and door off I can access the interior from both outside and through the interior foot well. My guess is that, like the hinge boxes, it drops down and out.

Chris.

Thanks Phil , It will make repairs easier with them out of the way .
Jim

Ok, trying to remove these air boxes. I’ve got them all loose and rattling around inside the bodywork, but can’t for the life of me get them extracted; there’s not enough space to drop them downwards because of the fender return lip and there doesn’t seem to be enough space to drag them out from inside the footwell?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Simon.

What car do you have Simon ?

Should just come out in the footwell. There are simple steel tags that screw to the dash support frame in my 140DHC.

It’s a 120 Roadster (OTS).

This is what I am looking at in the footwell:

The bent box van drop down a little, but not enough to allow removal and it can’t seem to go up any higher either??

Vent box, not bent box! Although it could be very bent pretty soon :joy:

I simply glanced at mine, 120 OTS, and I felt a shudder of fear crawl down my spine.

I’ve fully recovered. Cover me - I’m going in.

1 Like

If we do not hear from you within the next 24 hours, I’m callin’ 911!!

:grimacing:

1 Like

What, the Porsche owners’ club?

1 Like

Naw… wouldn’t wish that on a friend…:smirk:

1 Like

Could someone post a picture of this area fully trimmed please? I am going to have to slice some metal to get the vent out so want to know what is visible once trimmed.

Cheers

Simon.

Applying the principle of disassembling in the opposite order that the factory guys assembled it, I would drill out the spot welds indicated by the arrows on this cover panel, stopping when enough are loose that the box can come out.

Thanks for the pic Rob, appreciated. I have also found a couple of pics online and they look the same as yours, but mine is different - there is an arch with a return lip where yours just has a straight profile (and a load more room!).

Ah, yes, mine is a FHC, and apparently the OTS and FHC are different in that respect.
Perhaps because the OTS was originally designed without those vent boxes.
Always something new to discover about these wonderful cars.