Wiper arm control knob

Hello,

was the wiper arm control knob specific for the SS cars or was it a genuine part used also for other cars?
Are there any reproductions for the SS 100 available?

Greetings from Germany

Günter

Guenter

The SS

100 wiper knob was bakelite with a brass insert tapped BA thread About 1 1/2 "from memory. marked "start "and “park”
Nice repros are made here in Melbourne

Attached pic of one of them.

I can email you the makers email address

Hi ed,

thank you,
As always I appreciate your help.
How comes that these things are reproduced in Australia? There is not a big market for these part.

Regards,

Guenter

Guenter

That’s because we are more resourceful than other places

The wiper knobs are available from Goeff Asher email
geoffasher@iprimus.com.au

Regards,

Ed

The SS100 wiper system components were fitted to Humbers/Standards/
Bradford vans et al. BUT! you have a time window of approx 1936/7.After 37
same models used a motor/cable system. re
No need to make them Ed, just went to a local scrapyard and ^ sourced originals.,found 15/16, some for my use, SS100/90 rebodies, the rest to Terry
at Trac some 20 yrs ago. Sadly the source of many of these “goodies” has
dried up, closed/ built on etc.
Peter B

Yes a time machine would be very useful. I remember buying restored QK headlamps for GBP 550 a pair and new DUH6A dist for 11 pounds ea and Luvax 4 bolt shocks for SS100s for GBP 4.50 each

If you still have some of those wiper knobs < I can refer enquiries to you… Presumably still at the old scrapyard price : >).

Hello Ed.
As I posted, all my sources have dried up .
I telephoned Terry, who used to run Trac,
to ask if any left, but no joy,
Do your guys make them with original material or alu.
Fitted one of your aussie SS1 steering wheels last year
to T249362, very pricey but Very nice, see photo.
also photo of my SS100 rebody/replica, however you want to call it. 249242
was DHC.
Regards Peter.

T249362 was rebuilt with 20 HP sidevalve/original gearbox.
These were changed in 2015/16 to 31/2 OHV/Ford England
5 speed. Also steering to 1 1/2 litre Burman box. vast improvement.

Peter

The car does look very good. Although Australia, asa anation , can’t take credit for the steering wheel . That was from NZ . A bit like calling Ireland , England. We speak a similar language butthey’ve never forgiven Australia for the under arm bowl issue at a Test match in the 80s. The NZsteering wheels [ and other SS1 parts are very good] I did however do an article [ or two] on restoration of steering wheels bot SS1 type and SS Jaguar type in the CJA mag [ and also in the NZ Register magazine It’s a fair bit of work [ esp the SS1 wheel] but not too expensive and not rocket science .

If any oneis contemplating restoring on of th these wheels I still havethe article I can email.

It’s also great to see SS1s having a full restoration.
I’m not sure about the 1 1/2 litre steering box beeing better that the Marles weller box in the SS1. I suppose it depends o the condition tostart with. I have an SS1 box in my new LW SS and it has no free play. They are more direct and i suppose Lyons went to the Burman Douglas box because it was lighter for lady drivers… and then changed the ratio post war to make it even lighter. My brother ran his SS1 in circuis and hillclimbs years ago and said he found the direct steering useful on a circuit.
That being said , it is a nightmare to remove the old bearings from an SS1 box.
It’s also great to see the SS90 speedo and tacho in the SS1, presumably what Lyons offered on SS1s with the optional tacho listed in the sales brochure

The wiper knobs trafficator levers , gear lver knobs ,hlamp sw covers 'Manettes etc done here are all in a modern plastic which is made as a replacement for bakelite

I may have posted this years ago but it shows the SS1 [ 20HPleading a 2 1/2 SS100 in a 1/4 mile sprint .