Wiper motor assembly

Is there some kind of plastic or curved washer that fits between the arm and the motor shaft? Also, how tight do I make this nut. Do I leave it a little loose, then use the lock tab to keep it in place? Thankd

I do not believe there is a washer there.
When you tighten the nut have the arm in a vice so that the Plastic gear does not take the torque. Tighten the normal amount for that size thread.

Thanks Bill. Any trick to figure out which direction the arm is supposed to face? There are only two directions it can go.

That will depend on whether your car is a right or left hand drive. You want the wipers to park on the same side as the driver. Switching the arm 180° will switch the parking position. Do you know if the motor is at the park position now?

I have a lhd 68 2+2. I think park is where I left it when I rebuilt it three years ago. It was the first thing I removed from the car when I started the rebuild. Took me about a month, hence the several years later. Will prob never use / need it in Austin…

Can you plug it in and cause it to park? I was able to figure out park position on the bench after my rebuild, by running the motor with a power supply and monitoring the contacts. I had to do this because my car was not wired yet and I wanted to install the wiper hardware before the dash and windshield went in. Much easier that way.
I also discovered that mine would not park until I removed the park switch and mechanically cleaned the contacts. No amount of contact cleaner would fix it, only dissembling the switch and scraping the contacts did the trick. This is much easier to fix before you install everything. Don’t ask me how I know this…

No wiring done yet, but I’ll dig up the wiring diagram for this and bench test it. Good idea…

This might help, please verify your fitment.
In my case the “4” contact was dirty so it would park wherever you shut off the switch.

Awesome, you just saved me 40 minutes of document hunting. Thanks

I understand, been there done that, glad to be helpful.
BTW you should update your profile with location.

Just figured that out. It was kind of buried. Added location. Thanks

Finally got to this today, then spent the morning trying to figure it out, then gave up. This is what I’m looking at.

I see a ground lug marked earth. A spade marked 1 and another marked 2. There is also the parking mechanism, but that I believe grounds back internally. How do I bench test this. If I apply voltage to 1, 2, or both with earth grounded, nothing. As I understand it is a constantly hot motor and the switch basically works as a ground interrupter. I don’t have my harness in yet, so stuff like this I’m trying to test before putting it in so I don’t have issues. Thanks

Is there a reason that this thread is titled “washer motor assembly”, when all the posts appear to be about the wiper motor? The washer motor is another animal entirely. For the benefit of future archive searchers I’m happy to edit the title, but thought I should forewarn others first, or they may be unable to find the thread they are following.

Hmm. Not sure why I originally did that. Washer motor assembly is much less interesting. Yes, can you pls change it? Thanks

1 Like

I guess technically it started as wiper motor assembly and now has slowly evolved to wiring and bench testing a 68 2+2 wiper motor

Be aware that the schematic I attached earlier is not for the motor you show.

Yeah, I figured that out today as I was scratching my head.