Wiper motor woes!

So one of the things that doesn’t work on my xjs are the wipers, I figure because of the drain tubes having been clogged and the motor sitting in water for who knows how long. I finally got to dig into it and pulled the assembly out. I opened up the motor and yep. I think that is my problem. I tried cleaning it up, but it still doesn’t work. Luckily someone one ebay had a complete assembly including wiper arms and caps and sprayers for $125 shipped! Needless to say I snagged it. Hopefully that’ll do it!

I think that motor is probably fixable. You might wanna hold onto it, or pass it along to someone who needs one.

1 Like

I agree. I tried cleaning it out, but it didn’t work. Im going to keep the whole assembly just in case. My dad said i should just put the whole motor in a vat of vinegar. I may do that too

Figured I’d update. The assembly came in and, apart from one of the mesh cover bolts being snapped off in the hole, it looks great! I plugged it in and yep the studs move! I installed it and thought it was weird that the wiper arm was bent the other way, but oh well! Needless to say I put it all together and hit the switch and “scatchchchhchchchc!” Oh no! I hit the key and slapped my forehead! Apparently it was off a right hand drive because they went down! I flipped them over and figured ill just run them as they are. No big scratches phew! Of course then I decided to try my washer. Nope no fluid! Argh! Tore it all apart again and tried a few things. Still nothing then I had my son hit the switch while I watched. Sure enough, down at the radiator washer fluid comes blowing out! I look and apparently at some point there was a brake line or oil leak and it got down on the hose and melted it! So I figure Ill look at the assembly while its out and see what makes it right hand drive.