Wiper stalk removal on 1986 3.6 cabriolet

How do I remove wiper stalk from 1986 cabriolet

If it’s like my 93, you flip up a plastic cover, then there is a nut that you loosen. Depending on how corroded it is, you may need a puller, but lots of times, after you remove the nut, you can usually wiggle it free

First off, I doubt if the wiper stalk on the 1986 Cabriolet is any different than on any other mid-80’s XJ-S. If someone knows different, please post.

I don’t recall any particular difficulty with removal on my '83 coupe. IIRC, the first step is to get underneath the steering column and look up at it. You’ll see screws in recesses in the cover. Remove the screws and the lower cover comes off. Perhaps a couple more screws, I don’t remember exactly, and the upper cover comes off. Then everything in the column is laid bare and you can see what you’re doing.

Why do you want to get it out? That stalk has a known failure mode in that the contact plate inside gets deformed and the contacts get iffy. Typical symptom is the wipers just stop when turned off, don’t park unless you apply a bit of downward pressure on the stalk. A new replacement stalk sometimes has the same issue, as the contact plate has gotten deformed sitting on the shelf for decades. I fixed mine by adding a little aluminum reinforcing bar to keep the panel from deforming, but I didn’t take pictures. I have a standing offer that if someone sends me a malfunctioning switch, I’ll add the reinforcement and send it back to them – and take pictures this time so others can fix their own.

Actually, perhaps not. Sometime in there Jaguar switched from the reverse-park Lucas wipers to the Electrolux. I dunno if that entailed a change in the switch, but it probably did. It’s possible the design of the interior, including the column, also changed in the meantime. I know somewhere in there the seats changed, whether the steering column design changed at the same time I dunno.

Oh duh on me! My brain went to wiper arm not stalk! Dumb me! Smh! Sorry