Wire in the front brake rotor

Hi everyone!

I noticed not long ago this bent wire in the cooling vents of the front rotor. It’s one piece and just bent around those vents. Has anyone come across anything like that? I don’t feel any strong vibration during driving. I replaced all 4 rotors and all of them are Brembo.
Thanks for any input in advance!

Joe,

Isn’t that an anti-resonance device designed to stop brake squeal?

Lots of work done on that problem!

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/jbsmse/v26n3/a11v26n3.pdf

Perhaps that is the Brembo solution?

Hi Bryan!

This is the first time I saw something like this. I installed OEM pads and they squeak but only at a certain brake pressure. If I press the pedal harder the squeaking goes away.
Thank you for the article. It doesn’t mention for what reason they’d put wire in the cooling vents of a disc only the damping material used on the pads. But I hate the feeling of the bite of the front pads. It doesn’t feel as solid as it was with the previous EBC Yellow stuff pads.
Here’s a YT video (no affil.) about brake squeak by ChisFix. This kid is pretty good.

Cheers!

P.s.: only one of the front rotor has that bent wire in it.

Did you go through a bedding in process when you fitted the new pads?
A series of reasonably hard stops from 30mph will bed them down just remember to drive for a distance to allow the rotors to cool off.

Hi Robin!
No, I didn’t do the brake pad bedding procedure. My bad. :frowning2:

No soup for you! :yum:

1 Like

Ha-ha! I can make my own soups. I found all the recipes. :wink:

Hi Joe, I’ve never come across that before.
Maybe that piece of wire was left behind during manufacture. Parts like brake discs that have been milled and turned on a lathe are usually washed off in a tank of solvent afterwards to remove the cutting oil and swarf. The components are suspended from hooks using bits of wire as they pass through the cleaning tanks, I’m thinking that piece in your rotor was maybe a part of that system that has been left behind by mistake.

Good guess there Casso, but I’m sure I saw the same wire in the disc last year when I dismantled my 94 parts car …OR …maybe the remove-the-wire guy on the assembly line missed a few shifts or was in the can reading the Sun?

Hi Casso! Unfortunately I haven’t found any information about the “wire in the rotor” subject. I don’t think they have to use a wire like this to hang a rotor, they can use any of the vents for that. No need a separate wire in it. But next time when the (front left) wheel is off, I’m gonna remove it and see if it makes any difference.

Hi Larry,
If you found the same thing in one of your discs I think that blows my theory out the water, unless as you suggest, the guy responsible is a Sun reader with the trots and so dozens get past while he’s away.
I hope he washes his hands afterwards.
Maybe it’s been deliberately placed there as part of a balancing process ? Instead of grinding some of the nicely machined outer edge to remove material, the balance guy knows that say a ten gram imbalance equates to 6 inches of wire which he then twists into place opposite the heavy side.

Casso,

Had those same wires in my ventilated front discs for the reasons I expounded in post #2 to this thread.

1 Like