Wire wheel mounting near Pittsburgh, PA

Hi does anyone know of a good shop that will mount tires on wire wheels near Pittsburgh, PA? Thanks for your help.

Rob, I just had a new set of tires mounted on my car at West Point Auto Works in Greensburg. The car is absolutely steady at 80 mph.

I am in the market for new tires, but I am just outside Philly.

Should I expect most tire places to be both willing and competent at replacing and balancing tires on wire wheels?

I’ve heard a lot of the mass marketing type shops don’t want to to take the responsibility (liability?) of fooling with wire wheels. In my limited experience I’ve never had a problem finding someone to mount new tires. Balancing can be more of an issue.

Thanks for the info!

some hot rods have true wire wheels…but they are bolt on…not spline, so the shop tool for the mount is not proper, nor for balance. Special “cones” for spline wire wheels are available to purchase…It would be nice for local car clubs to have a set to loan out…or…a few Jaguar owners in an area to share…It is the cone that is needed…if you had the proper size cone (they differ)…maybe a shop would do it. Shops that cater to hi end cars routinely have to be very careful with costly wheels…but it is the spline center that is our issue. The xk s 120-150 catalog p A-15, shows the E Type cone, part 37-1066 about $110, ( the 120-150 16 inch wire wheels use a “deep draw” 52mm cone…part 37-1068 at about $175. In my location some shops said…no…but a Discount Tire shop manager said yes, they had what was needed…and did the mount and balance.

Calabro Tire on Bower Hill Road near Bridgeville. They just installed a new inner tube in my MGB wire wheel a couple weeks ago.

John

Thanks for the information, John!