Wire wheel rim measurement need advice

That’s one of the problems you run into with these cars . You can’t rely on whats on the car for originality if that’s important because who knows what’s been changed over the years. A web site like this is huge for authentication. I’ve always thought the porters book was the reference maybe old school . See how they say April or May varying by model, that’s why I say you got what was in the parts box. One of my reference books says the painted wheels where latter so who knows for sure . Don’t know where you get a build sheet from. Someone here knows I bet?

cheers Jim

Hey Jim:

That’s just me from browsing through XKEdata.com in search of an approximate time frame for the changeover. “Varying by model” in more detail refers to the Service Bulletin listing the chassis # by RHD or LHD and then OTS, FHC and 2+2 for both chrome and painted wire wheels including E-Type, Mark 2, S-Type and 420. I believe Jaguar Cars back in the day were much better organized on the production line than what we may think 60 years later on. Maybe the Lada line you jokingly refer to was quite different, dunno, but you’re quite right about things that both owners, repair shops and possibly even dealers may have done to fix a problem if the correct factory part wasn’t readily at hand and the owner didn’t want to wait for the correct part to be ordered in. Oh, the joy of owning an old relic and winding our way through the maze. :slightly_smiling_face:

The build sheet you mention is likely the Jaguar Heritage Trust certificate that many owners have obtained via the Jaguar Heritage Trust and is available for a fee here: Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust

Cheers.

1 Like

Thks Gary I’ll look into that I just find all the references I’ve come across mention on or about, so and so says ,this magazine doesn’t show that etc but you can sure narrow it down with everyone’s inputs. The series one 1-1/2 and 2 change over is the most problematic late 1967- 1968 I think. None of it really matters except to a few just don’t put a v8 in
Cheers Jim

I just put my new 205R70/15’s on my car. I’ve only done the left side so far and found, like you, that I just needed to turn the bump stop around. It was almost touching with the wheel hanging. With the car on the ground, there’s plenty of space.

Nope, it is carmin red and I inherited it from my mother.

‘Carmen’ – like the gal who made cigars for Bizet.

Does anyone know it jag produced the 6 inch wide rim with the introduction of the easy clean hub or is it an after market item

The factory-supplied standard wire wheels for Series 1 and 2 cars were all 5" rims. The 6" rims are aftermarket. Jaguar did supply “Competition Wheels” as an option for the rear wheels (stronger spoke pattern) which I think may have had 6" rims.

Thks David. Your a regular encyclopedia about these cars

Jim

If you spoke with David you’d realize he is a regular encyclopaedia. Or perhaps the OED.

1 Like

I have 225x60x15 tires and I removed the bump stops. In the past I had to let the air out of the rear tires to get them off the car. Now with current tires no problem removing them. I have had this way for 35 years.

posr deleted deleted deleted.

Can you folks tell me your thoughts on stainless spokes verses chromed . The stainless is more durable I believe but Chrome is shinier ?

Cheers. Jim

In my opinion there isn’t enough difference to worry about.

Can hardly tell the difference when looking at them, can’t tell it at all when driving.

The stainless will be shiner than the chrome when the chrome get rusty.
Tom

1 Like

The chrome spokes do rust, but the hubs, at least on the later wheels, seem to shed their chrome in big pieces. At least that’s what I saw on both Series IIs I’ve had.

1 Like

Rust
That’s a four letter word
There’s no rust on my car you guys steel and lead and no under coat either
The spokes flex and the Chrome breaks off right about where they cross at least that’s what I’ve noticed but not sure how long it takes. I guess that’s the question
How durable are these chrome rims

You’ve got to have shinny wheels Be your own parade

I went SS spokes, chrome rims. Haven’t had any issues. Over 20 years old.

2 Likes

16 year old Dayton chrome wires put on by previous owner. No rust, no flaking chrome. And yes, the car is regularly driven.

2 Likes