Wiring harness 140

Is there no property rights on the Lucas diagrams?..Steve

Probably lost in the mists of time, Steve! There is a company now calling itself ‘Lucas Classic’ but I doubt it has much to do with Joseph Lucas of Birmingham. It’s all about buying names - ‘Lucas’ is currently owned by ZF Friedrichshafen. ‘Jaguar’, on the other hand, might be more of an issue regarding intellectual property, given the refusal of LR or the Jaguar archive to give out any information that might be useful to a restorer these days. Is confirmation information? You decide…

Job done - a bit of a fiddle, but about 30mins with the right pieces of kit.

There are two items I see as essential for car wiring jobs. A grommet spreader, and a wiring harness installation tool, see below:

…and

The latter comes as part of a kit of all sorts of useful probes. Note the end, with either a hole for attaching a further wire to, or a hook which is surprisingly effective at catching wires, bullet connectors etc.

Thus armed, I started with the flexi probe at the small hole above the axle. Unfortunately I had already installed the axle and shock absorber, so had to work around them. This pic shows the probe reaching down to one of the intermediate large holes in the lower part of the chassis.

I attached the rearmost end of the harness to the probe and pulled it back out of the top hole. The probe was now detached, and poked through the forward hole by the bulkhead back to the intermediate hole. The front of the harness was now pulled through to the bulkhead hole. I took this further, to identify the separate white wire for the fuel pump feed. The trickiest bit was pulling this (and the harness) back again to the fuel pump hole, which is small and high up on the chassis wall. Luckily there is a large hole just beyond it to the rear, which fingers will fit in to help guide the wire through the correct hole. It was then just a matter of adjusting the position of the harness and fitting grommets. Using some nylon/rubber lubricant spray and the grommet expander these were very easy, for the most part - the top one at the back was a bit of a fiddle to reach with the suspension in the way.

Thanks all, for your most valuable input.

That grommet spreader looks very like the gadget we used on the farm in NZ for spreading the rubber rings used when castrating and tailing young lambs!

That would explain the ‘nuts-b-gone’ labelling on the box, perhaps…

1 Like

different front harness LH and RH
I have installed 40 plus harness in in XK120’s 140’sand 150’s these were of course the best harnesses in the world made right here in Western Australia.
Most of it is self explanatory.

Terry,
Could you expand a little on the RH/LH differences, please?

brake light switch opposite side of car for one would need to pull out my original harnesses

roger notes
So I purchased my new loom from Rhode Island Wiring, that the observant may appreciate is in a LHD dominated market rather than my RHD XK140 loom requirement in Australia, so again some research, which revealed that the LHD XK140 loom(s) were 100% suitable/same as that for a RHD XK140 apart from THREE only wires outside their looms were too long, and for my RHD car simply had to be cut shorter to suitable length.