Wiring problem on 1972 XJ6

I have a 1972 XJ6 4.2l. The reversing lights, number plate lights, boot light and fuel gauges are no longer working. The tail lights, indicators and hazard warning lights work fine.I think there must be a break or loose connection somewhere in the loom to the rear of the car. Can anybody offer any suggestions on how I can trace the fault and repair it?

Does the 72 have number plate illumination from a plinth above (as does the 73 and on into Series 2) or the bumper? If the former, then those lights, the reversing lights, and the boot light all use a loom that travels along the RH bootlid hinge–that might be where to look. But if the fuel sender is also involved (and also if number plate illumination is from the bumper) and there is only one fault, it must be elsewhere. I assume the fuel gauge shows no indication in either switch position? If so, all of the symptoms show an open circuit. IMHO.

It’s a bit awkward, Malcolm; 72 was a transition year between series 1 and 2 - and the wiring diagrams differ. And some updating to Series 2 standard was done to late ‘72’ - with little documentation…

So it is difficult to eliminate the possibility that you may have two or more different faults. As Robert says, a look at the wiring loom near the moving boot hinge may reveal something; ‘the rear of the car’ is a clue - there is no obvious commonalities between these items up front…

There are no easy access points to test a loom fault unless you can access a connector. Which may be in the engine compartment, or revealed by pulling at the loom in the boot. And testing for power at the bulbs or at the tank units is sort of vain - no light means no power, open circuit. It’s too far fetched to assume all bulbs or their ground connections has failed…

You just have to plod on along the usual lines - a test lamp will be handy…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hi Malcolm, as the guys indicate there are two wiring diagrams. I have attached both. If it was me I would track through from rear to front and see what I found! Our '72 has the number plate lamp on the bumper it was a February manufacture. Regards, Paul

Thanks for the wiring diagrams, Paul. My number plate bulbs are on the bumper. I will do as everyone has suggested and work my way backwards until I can find the fault, most probably an open circuit

Mine was a bad bullet connection in the area of the RH trunk lid hinge (per Robert Wilkerson). My '71 has the light on top of the bumper as well. Plus, my reverse light is under the rear bumper! Never seen one like
it other than this car!