Won't start due to alarm system (I think)

Greetings all,

Well My 98 XJ Vanden Plas 99,000 miles won’t start. It seems to be a alarm system lockout. And, I have the (alarm) light flashing on the console next to shifter when I enter the car. All lights are on console lights up, etc…But no alarm noise, etc… It acts like the alarm has locked the ignition. And I get an “Boot Open” displaying on the console.
I don’t have the alarm key fob working. I have original fobs but those never worked. But keys do work in the door and ignition but not in trunk/boot. If I could get into the trunk I’d have it.
The car has been running fine for @ 2 years (bought recently used). Suddenly after letting it sit for 5 days. This just happened.
I’m afraid I have to get into the trunk to disconnect the battery to reset.
Worst case I’ll cut a hole behind license plate… (worst case). Any work around suggestions?
Thanks!

I have a similar problem with my x308r and reset by disconnecting the battery and touching the battery terminal together. As you do not have access to the battery, is it possible to disconnect where the power lead comes from the battery into the engine compartment?

I’d put a charge in the battery by hooking on to that terminal.

Gekko,

Passing along something I learned this past week. Battery – how old is it? My '99 X308 was throwing all kinds of faults if I let the car sit for two or more days. Talking with a local repair shop owner, he indicated these “computer” cars live on the car’s battery. He recommend “replace the battery every 4 years – even if it seems OK”. He further explained when the battery voltage gets low the alternator reacts to in a bad way. It goes into overdrive charging and that can damage systems modules. These new cars are computers with 4 wheels and a heater ! ! ! LOL
I replaced my battery and, sure enough, no more faults popping up. Just a thought… . . . .

Happy Motoring,

Dick

'74 OTS
'99 XJR
1947 Stinson 108-1 “Voyager”

Dick the electronics cease to initialise and function if the voltage of the battery drops below about 11 volt and this tends to give problems especially when starting.
So a new battery if this occurs is a good idea, since alternators unlike generators only top up the battery not fully charge it.

Hi Neil,

I agree. The way it was explained to me - by a very reputable technician, is what the Alternator does. Sensing a low charge in the battery, the voltage regulator goes full-on output - surges. He went on further to explain that voltage spike wasn’t limited to the battery. It also translated to the various modules (computers) to some degree. If the battery is near its useful life it affects voltage regulator output. According to his past experience replacing the main power source - the battery - every 4 years (before the battery causes problems) will avert damage to the various modules. I don’t have an electronics degree but enough working knowledge to use that information and err on the side of caution. In hot climates batteries usually don’t make it to 4 years before causing problems. Batteries are cheap (insurance) compared with the time and expense ($$$$) AND hassle of replacing XXX module(s).
I still want to know what Jaguar engineer decided the “heated seat” function should not work above 59-degrees F? Probably on the same team that decided the Coolant Temperature gauge should function like an idiot light in gauge form ! ! ! Only when the engine moves into the “Fried” spectrum does the gauge then move full scale.

I can deal with OPUS and Lucas but still can’t make my remote key function work on my '99 XJR (X308). Just quit working one day and refuses to be reprogrammed ! ! !

Happy Motoring,

Dick

In a message dated 1/22/2018 5:30:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Neil_MaldonNeil Bennett
January 22Dick the electronics cease to initialise and function if the voltage of the battery drops below about 11 volt and this tends to give problems especially when starting.
So a new battery if this occurs is a good idea, since alternators unlike generators only top up the battery not fully charge it.
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply ToDick_WellsDick Wells, OV1pilot@aol.com, 74 OTS UES1S25806BW, 99 XJR
January 21Gekko, Passing along something I learned this past week. Battery – how old is it? My '99 X308 was throwing all kinds of faults if I let the car sit for two or more days. Talking with a local repair shop owner, he indicated these “computer” cars live on the car’s battery. He recommend “replace t…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

You are correct. The easiest test (an I cannot understand why vehicles dont have a DCM display), is measure battery voltage as every 0.1V under 12.6V represents approx -15% charge

Batteries also have a date code stamped in terminal. Any battery over 3yrs old cannot be relied upon (unless regularly checked ok)

In vehicles with a lot of computer and other power drain, one could probably justify a high quality long-life battery

If the OP purchased the vehicle 2yrs ago, and has not changed the battery, he should do so immediately.

full discharge significantly shortens the life of a “starting” battery…a few in a row on an older battery (as can happen on a little-used car) is usually “terminal” :rofl:

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the responses.
Turns out the boot lock push mechanism just died and caused variety of issues.
I did as one suggested. Once in just locked and unlocked doors from inside manually.
That apparrantly reset the alarm/ingnition lock and allowed me to start car.
The boot device is still dead and appears as “boot open” on console…
I did disconnect battery, that may have reset ignition lock/alarm caused by locked boot push button.
Cheers,