Workshop manuals

Hi, I see from some posts a few years ago that there was some negativity regarding workshop manuals. Is this still the case or has there been any developments? Would anyone recommend a particular workshop manual for a 74 series 2?

Bob: My experience is with series 1 manuals. And I assume yours is a series 2 so I can’t guarantee this will hold true. The “Jaguar XJ6 Service Manual”, publication E155, was we published by Jaguar. It covers the XJ6 to 1972 and is a very good manual to have for series one inners. It’s ALL in there. The drawback is that it assumes you have prior knowledge of at least the nomenclature. I think it’s directed to the professional or well experienced hobbyist. But I am still glad I have it. I also consult other manuals aimed more towards the hobbyist like me before starting a repair. They are less detailed but more readable. Some of the other manuals I have are Autobook 799 1968-73, and Haynes Xj6 1968-1976 ( this is the one I use most)

However I recently purchased the 1978 “Jaguar XJ6 Damlier Soverign Repair Operations Manual” Publication E188/4”. It also seems to be directed to the professional but was many more drawings and diagrams and is written in a somewhat lighter mode and assumes you don’t know much as the series 1 Book assumed. (This May reflect the difficulty in hiring skilled mechanics). Having been published in 1978 I assume it would cover your car.

And I would buy a more consumer oriented manual like One of the above

I read both before undertaking a repair.

Regards
Lou

Hi Lou, many thanks for your considered and thoughtful reply. It sounds to me that the Haynes manual may suit my level of expertise (which is quite low!), I am slightly familiar with them because when I last owned a British Leyland car in the mid 70’s I used to borrow one from a friend occasionally. You’re correct, my car is a series 2 and if I’m honest I am a little surprised how complex the car is, I guess I didn’t do enough research before purchasing, but being familiar with other offerings from British Leyland I thought that there would be more similarities between them. That’s not to express any dissatisfaction with my car, rather a desire to know and understand more about it so that I can do more work on her over time. Many thanks once again.

Robert:

Are you familiar with AbeBooks.com? Google that name and enter “Jaguar Owner’s Workshop Manual” where it asks for the tile of the book. They have a used copy for $7.72 (US). And the shipping is free. I have no connection with the company, just a satisfied customer.

Regards
Lou

Are you familiar with

Hi Bob, our car is a 1972 Series 1, a design that came to market in 1968. At or around this time Jaguar merged with Leyland. As far as saloons go the S1 was the last true Jaguar design (owned by Jaguar Cars, Coventry). Nothing in common with the other Leyland marques. Your car, only once removed, still has little to do with Leyland, despite branding. Yes, they are more complex (I had a Triumph) but usually the better for it IMHO. Paul.

Thanks Lou, I’m not familiar with the company but I’ll get onto it straight away.

Regards,

Bob

On order Lou! Take a while to get to New Zealand but it was a good deal

Regards,

Bob

Sure Bob. Get yourself an original parts catalogue (available online https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/older-vehicle-information, scroll down) and the Repair Operation Manual for the SII car. Indeed, the SII ROM is adapted to the BL corporate structure, breaking down all operation into elements following an identical structure (e.g. 37.16.11 Gear change lever knob: Removal: 1. Remove overdrive switch - 40.24.01). The SI ROM is a lot more “explicit” when it comes to essential functions. The SI ROM explains the carb setup in its context while the SII ROM assumes you got along with it over the last five years …

As Lou stated, all ROMs are directed to instruct skilled Jaguar service staff. So the instructions sometimes seem out of balance, reducing complex operations to one-liners while finishing instructions with reminders like “9. Close bonnet”:-).

While the Haynes manual sometimes is worded more in line with common use of universal DIYers, I never found these any more instructive than the originals. When it comes to Jag lingo, the Parts Catalogue comes in handy as the second part gives you the correct Jaguar terms for the part numbers.

To be honest, while I’ve been seriously puzzled and ultimately stunned by the instructions in the ROM more than just once, I still prefer them a lot over the IKEA picture books …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Bob:

I’ve been dealing with them for many years. Sometimes, the books are used, sometimes new. Only rarely don’t they have what I’m looking for. And many times are very low cost.

Regards
Lou

Hi Jochen,

That parts catalogue is very useful. Didn’t know such a thing existed, I guess that’s why I joined the forum!

Thanks,

Bob

I like the factory publications; these are for XJ12 but XJ6 would be similar.
IMG_20200808_073313322
Paper copies are still around, or they may be on CD-ROM from JDHT.

1 Like