Worn hood strut advice?

Hello All. I will be attempting to replace the worn hood (bonnet) gas struts on a LH Drive 1988 Daimler Double Six. What is the procedure to access the lower ball stud mount? Who would you recommend for replacement struts. Any help suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Martyn,
I own, work on, and drive a Left Hand Drive Canadian market 1990 V12 Vanden Plas, essentially a 1990 Daimler Double Six badged for the North American market as a Vanden Plas. It is just like all the other Series III XJ6 and XJ12 saloons and does not have bonnet (hood) gas struts but two large springs, one on either side, to hold the bonnet raised. I also own two SeriesIII XJ6s and they also have springs and not gas struts to hold the bonnet up.

Can you post a picture of your car showing the bonnet gas struts you are asking about? Something doesn’t sound right.

Paul

Yes, it would be interesting to see.

The European XJ sedans use a short gas strut instead of springs. I have a 1985 XJ6 (imported from Belgium or Switzerland) and it has those short gas struts. (BAC4382)

I don’t know if they are still available or NLA??

I wish posters would share their location. It would be easier to find the correct parts.

bob

The person I bought my 84 from had a V12 from 82 or 83, German model as far as I know, and he replaced the gas struts on his not too long ago. I remember because he complained about the high price: but if you have the data (length, newtons and maybe diameter) and the mountings survive the removal there should be endless, cheap supply.
If it’s a ball and socket type a long screwdriver would help, and if not either a lot of swearing in any case. But I believe the manual covers it; do you have the green workshop manual?

David

Bob,
Well I learned something new today! I had no idea that gas hood struts were fitted to the Series III saloons, but they were.
I looked up BAC4382 in my hard copy of the Series III Parts catalogue but it showed the chromed center blade of the rear bumper. However, by serendipity on the very next page was an illustration of the Bonnet Gas Strut, part number BAC4302. Armed with that part number I went to the Jaguarclassicparts.com website and discovered that Jaguar still carries this part for the Series III Saloons and the original part number was superceded by part number JLM21457. I searched eBay for JLM21457 and there was one supplier on eBay that has this part for sale in Australia.

Paul

Martyn,
With the help of others on this list I believe that I have sorted this out for you. The Bonnet Gas Struts were originally Jaguar Part Number BAC4302 and they have been superceded by part number JLM21457. This part is still available through Jaguar and you will likely find other sources as well. You didn’t mention where you live, and this is an international list, so I have no idea of the best source for you to get this part. If you live in Australia there is a supplier there that has them listed on eBay. Others will have to chime in regarding removal and replacement instructions as I don’t have a Series III saloon with these bonnet gas struts and have no experience removing and replacing them. My 3 Series III saloons all have two large springs that hold their bonnets up.

Paul

Sorry!!! The correct number in the JEPC should have been BAC4302 as you stared. I hit the 8 on the keypad instead of the 0.

Thanks for the superseded part number.

bob

Thanks so much for the help guys !! I truly appreciate your assistance, The top mount is super easy to access but I see no easy way for the lower mount. I have some long screwdrivers that may snap the metal clip off but based on other struts I’ve replaced there needs to be some persuading to get them off the ball and back on. BTW I’m in Canada near Vancouver.

The manual doesn’t cover it. Worst case, you’d have to remove them at the top, mark the hinges, remove the bonnet with a helper, and change them this way.
If you need a little more access it helps to place a towel between grille and bumper, then remove the support strap - if possible.