Worn shift forks?

How would I determine if the GB shift selector forks are too worn? Is there some measurable tolerance to work from? I can see that mine are worn some but they seem to fit the hubs fairly tightly. These don’t appear to be available anywhere… What are the options for too-worn/worn-out forks?

John North
67 Roadster

Hi John,
Don’t know what the spec should be but you might have to braze them up and have them ground (machined) down. Wish I could offer something more…
Good luck,
LLynn

Hi John you can get them from Denis Welsh in the U.k. I am just going to do a post about my box .Gordon

John I have recently dismanteld a gearbox damaged in a race incident, some of the tnternals appear
newish. Clearence of the selector fork in the selector hub is 4 thou (photo) the thickness of the
selector fork at the raised lands is approx point 280.
Peter B

Peter,

Is that an EJ gearbox? Do you happen to know if the internals like the forks and hubs would be the same for both the KE and EJ? In other words would those parts be interchangeable? I think you mentioned the rods are the same…

Eric it is/was a 2+2 gearbox fitted with a XJ top cover which informs the degree of interchangeability.

Peter, the 2+2 used both the EJ and the KE configuration. I suspect the sedans used both as well. But if the forks are in fact interchangeable regardless of gearset, that’s good news in terms of used parts. Definitely more KE boxes out there than EJ, and the issues noted recently seem to be in 4,2 series 1 (EJ equipped) cars. Is that 2+2 box a KE or EJ? If it’s from a race car I’d guess close ratio EJ.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, very helpful. The lands on my forks measure .282 and the channel in the hub .287. I will measure with feeler gauges when I have the cluster off, but it looks like I’m in the same ballpark…

John North
S1 1967 Roadster

You’re disassembling the transmission?

Yes, Eric, I am disassembling the tranmission, at least synchros to replace…

John North

67 Roadster