Worn suspension parts after 28 years

In my 1989 XJS coupe I am currently replacing the suspension parts that have rubber components as the age is showing in the parts condition. Just getting to the lower control arm bushings is quite a task. You have to suspend the engine from the fenders, remove the springs, release one end of the shocks, disconnect the brake lines, sway bar ends, the cross member to frame ground strap, remove the steering rack and while supporting the cross member with a floor jack, release the rear cross member mounts and motor mounts. Then you need to swing the cross member down so the long bolt will clear the engine and exhaust. I am glad I am taking everything apart at the same time as I am tackling this task just because it takes so much work to get to this point it is foolish not to check the motor mounts, steering pump hoses and cooler and any lower engine gaskets that may be leaking.

Anyway, I attached some pictures of the worn items. The motor mounts looked pretty good until I applied a little force by hand to see if there was any separation. I put a screw driver into the slight separation so the crack was visible in the picture.

I also replaced the upper and lower ball joints, upper control arm bushings, tie rod ends, coils springs and complete brake components as well as the front cross member mounting bushings that I didn’t take pictures of yet.

Looks like you have plenty to do! Those rubber parts look ugly, that’s for sure.

What did you use as a spring compressor ?

Stephen,
I used an 18" long piece of 3/4-10 threaded rod with 2 nuts and I made a wedge for the bottom out of plastic I had laying around. It worked pretty well.