Wow - I never thought I'd see the day

…when E-Type was toppled by another, busier, model forum, but XK did it!

While I’m here, what is the model number or correct search term for the early Lucas Sports coils used on XK & D-type etc? I’ve tried Lucas vintage coil but only get dozens of 1960s-1970s type coils. They have a screwed-on ID plate and are longer than today’s coils, with a steel case that has a rolled seam around the base like the bottom of a tin can? Screw-type plug lead connections, naturally, and often (always?) an integral attachment bracket…

Of course if anyone has a working example one to sell they could PM me…?

Pete,

You should have known where to look first before asking…
http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/13-electrical/lucas-sports-coil/

I guess you’re looking for the HS12 Sports coil (early Fifties) or the SA12 version.(mid Fifties).

Groeten,

Bob

Nah. The stats don’t lie Jerry. But it looks like the order of display at any time is based on short term traffic, whereas those monthly totals will likekly always have the E forum at #1 with Pub, XJ, XK etc in order of busyness during the preceding hour, or whatever metric Andrew uses.

It’s just that I had never seen E not be comfortably top by all meaures but yesterday XK was the one, albeit briefly. It’s of no consequence and I’d have been better keeping quiet (another routine occurrence).

Looking forward to a decent drive to Mahwah NJ this morning for JCNA’s AGM being, hosted by Jaguar at their new HQ building.

Here`s a couple Peter. As stated Model HS12 but Type L— 0.
Peter B.

They must have changed some setting on this site because now it looks like its displaying whatever forum had the most recent activity at the top of the list regardless of average monthly activity. For instance, I just made a post in the XJ40 forum, and it got bumped to the top, but it doesn’t have nearly enough activity to compete with several other forums here.

For the most part, the forums have seemed pretty static until you get pretty far down the list where a single post can bump a forum up several spots.

Metric? I don’t use no steenkin metric!

I usually just look at latest, so I can’t say I even know what the Categories display order normally is.

E-Type is certainly the most active, as well as the largest, and the most visited.

Perhaps the last update messed with the algorithm.

1 Like

That’s not “messed with:” that’s a feature.

from/off my 53 xk120 fhc

Nice, but what’s the round metal button? Not an oil filler?

Are you are asking about the solder joint on the bottom, where the internal wiring is grounded to the body?
The oil is filled through an offset port between the SW and CB posts by removing a screw there.
Here is mine.
PICT0002

Back to the original topic, I found a nice feature is the watching button, which can be switched off for each forum, so you only get notices of activity on your favorite forums, no others.

1 Like

I have a copy of the May 1956, nine-page article from Sports Cars Illustrated titled “The Hottest Jaguar.” The article provides a nearly line-by-line description of all the mechanical and electrical components found on the D-Type. The article identifies the ignition coil as a “chassis-mounted Lucas HV12.”

We’ve always known Lucas Sports Coils were after-market accessories never supplied by Jaguar on XKs. It appears Sports Coils were also not supplied by the factory on the D-Types.

HV12 - thanks. It is mounted on the frsme horizontally near the dizzy below the header tank and I fancy a second one along the same tube facing the first so you can just swap connections. With twin fuel pumps as standard and twin coils it’d be bullet-proof.

Any chance of emailing a scan or photos of the article?

The article I mentioned, plus copies of other period articles, is found in “Jaguar C-Type & D-Type Gold Portfolio” available on Amazon.

Below is a drawing from another 1956 article showing the location/mounting of the twin ignition coils and the twin LCS (square body) fuel pumps.

The patina on the right coil is absolutely wonderful. This is in my opinion what most original parts should look like. Got me drooling!

2 Likes

What departement are you Bernard? I am in 49, ( Bauge).
Peter B.

1 Like

Peter,
In the summer (May to October) I am in 41, limit 72 and 37, about halfway between Le Mans and Tours. The rest of the time, I’m in Florida.

1 Like

Isn’t that the Aston Martin hotel? Stayed there myself.

Drawing of coils side by side is interesting, thanks. More room for top oil cooler hose.

Peter,
You are absolutely correct, this is the hotel where Aston-Martin set up their Le Mans headquarters for a number of years. Today, it has become a Mecca of British car enthusiasts and there is rarely a week-end in the summer without some kind of classic car gathering there. It becomes quite crazy during the week of the 24 hours of Le Mans race. .

1 Like

I love the Hotel de France, La Chartre-sur-le-loir. Le Loir, note, not La Loire.

We stayed there on our honeymoon in '85, when Mme Pasteau was still running it. Parked behind the kitchen was her Thunderbird, which he happily let us park next to. Each time we have been since (probably 15-16 times), we are allowed to park in the rear yard, which is usually staff only. The entire kitchen staff turn out to listen when we start the 289 up in the morning.
It’s been owned by Martin Overington, Bentley racer, for the last 3 or 4 years who has thankfully maintained the independent and quirky character of the hotel. We love it and will be back again next year if not this.
Just fyi, many towns in France have a ‘Hotel de France’ - it’s a republican thing, post-1789.

Hello Bernard, sorry to resurrect an old chat but do you happen to Know anything about the red E Type (CUF 977C) in the picture? I am new to the Jaguar world and looking to buy my first E-Type and whilst shortlisting cars to view CUF 977C has come up as a potential. I have spoken with the dealer advertising the car and they inform me that the owner has unfortunately past away and that the car is for sale on behalf of the family. I found this chat thanks to Google as it brought this image up in the search.