Wow - XJS on Columbo's "It's All in the Game" Movie

Was watching this '93 T.V. movie :movie_camera: Friday night and was stunned to see how much camera time was given to the pre-face lift black/doeskin convertible ('91?) Faye Dunaway (the villainess) was driving in it. :open_mouth: I wonder if Jaguar loaned the car for use in the movie if the showā€™s producers agreed, in exchange, to really show it off or something. :confused:

If you have never seen this movie (I couldnā€™t find it on YouTube to post a link here), near the beginning of the show Dunaway slowly drives up to her $$ place in the car, which looks brand-spanking new, btw. While she waits before driving it on into the garage, Falk (Columbo) walks up to the passenger side window and taps on the glass. She pushes the console button and lowers the window. Falk sticks his head in and engages her in conversation for a couple of minutes or so, while she sits there, engine idling. At some point she pushes the console button and retracts the top, continuing to talk to Falk through the window for a little while, before slowly driving it into the garage.

Not sure why she put the top down before parking it in the garage (isnā€™t it usually the other way around?), but again maybe it was something Jaguar wanted the producers to do with their car, to show off the retractable top feature. Only thing is I didnā€™t see her flip any pair of clips near the front of the roof before retracting it, and I thought you had to do that with the XJS (or is it fully automatic?). :confused: Also noticed the top motors didnā€™t make any audible sound during the process - are they really that quiet, or was that edited out? You could almost not even hear the engine running during the whole scene, either. Are the 5.3s THAT quiet when new, or again was some creative editing work done? :thinking:

btw, I speculate the XJS was a '91 MY, b/c it was a full pre-face lift w. quad (4) headlights, so not a '92. "91 would be the next earliest year with those. It might have instead been a '90 or even an '89.

1996 Renegade TV Series Episode ā€œLove Hurtsā€. Stella Stevenā€™s XJS

The XJS has made a number of screen appearances: Jaguar XJS in the movies

1 Like

Yes we just finished watching through ALL of the Columboā€™s recently, as I have always loved them so I bought the box set. There are quite a few episodes and movies where they used an xjs. Yes, I had just made mention on the other jag forum about that movie with Faye. I also made mention that I found out something from the one movie that Iā€™ve wondered about since I got mine. Iā€™ve often wondered how my car starts when cold, compared to how it did when new. Needless to say, in the one movie from 1992, Tyne Daly drives a brand new either 92 or 93my (depending on what month) xjs. It sits in the one place outside overnight, which part of me thinks it actually did because they have it in the same spot in a night shot and a morning shot along with dew on it. Ok I know they can movie magic it, but still. They have a female officer drive her home and when they start it, wooohooooo! It sounds very close to how mine does when cold! Mystery solved! Oh, and just one more thing :grin::grin::grin::grin: no, I donā€™t remember Faye unhooking the top first either, but part of me thought she was leaving the garage. I could be wrong

Columbo? The Saint??? Rubbish!
It seems that everyone forgot about most popular two seasons of TV series where Jaguar XJS is not appearing somewhere in the background - but is creating entire scenario!!!
Season 1

Season 2

Obviously, V12 versionā€¦

Ok so what show was it?

Reality Show, Jasonā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, sorry you lost your Jag.

Thatā€™s a happy V12 owner in US, doing BBQā€¦
I went for 3.6 :wink:

(Can anyone support with sarcasm translation please?)

2 Likes

I love my Lucas V12.

2 Likes

Not sure why theyā€™re pouring water on it ā€¦ Those are usually fuel and/or electrical fires, which I thought water = no no ā€¦ :no_entry_sign: Use foam extinguishing instead ā€¦ :fire_extinguisher:

1 Like

Another example of why to always keep a foam extinguisher on your passenger front floorboard (the XJ220s even come with one mounted there!). At sign of fire :fire: pop the hood but do NOT release the catch. Stick extinguisher hose in the cracked opening and blast away until fire is out. THEN open the hood/bonnet. :triumph:

2 Likes

For Series 3 fans, there is a nice black one @ about 15:30 that the bad guys try to run off the road (well, they do). I thought it funny that each time their vehicle 'hits" the driverā€™s side of the Jag you donā€™t see the actual impact. Apparently the ā€œbangā€ sounds were dubbed in later. I have a hunch whomever let them have that S3 ('87? '86?) loaned it on the condition that it was NOT to get damaged in the filming. :no_entry_sign: :movie_camera:

2 Likes

It is a common filming technique. A frantic car chase, what looks like a crash, a jump cut, a bent/burning wreck. Right up there with the random stack of empty cardboard boxes in a disused warehouse that has to be driven through.

1 Like

I like the ones where they slam sideways into a tree, drive off and then the car is fine! I remember a dukes of hazzard where they hit a tree sideways and they kept the damage! Of course they took it to Cooter and he had it fixed in a day or two! I need a mechanic like him!

Best Jag chases were in the Sweeney, a british TV show about 1970ā€™s special branchā€¦ check this out, the criminals obviously didnā€™t get the best driver in this oneā€¦ Jaguar Chase London Bank Robbery Getaway - YouTube
I donā€™t think that damage will buff out

1 Like

The Sweeney was fabulous 70ā€™s TV. The villains always drove transit vans or Jags - mostly MKIIs - the coppers drove Ford Granadas. I donā€™t know if it was intentional that when John Thaw transformed from Detective Jack Regan in the Sweeney to Inspector Morse that they gave him a MKII.

Most famous quote: ā€œShut it! Get your trousers on, youā€™re nickedā€

1 Like

Love The Sweeney, and loved Morse before I watched the Sweeney. I really like the newer series Endeavor too. It is cool watching Sweeney and seeing cars Iā€™ve never seen before! Just watched one where the girl drove a Reliant Scimitar! I had never seen one before! I like it! Also weird to see a hot girl and then realize that theyā€™re either really old or dead by now. Smh! The other thing I noticed is that even though itā€™s rated tvpg, thereā€™s been at least one topless scene on itā€‹:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

LOL, Timer. Funny, I had just finished reading an article about that show and all the ā€œGeneral Leesā€ in it. :racing_car: Would you believe they had over 700 of those cars ā€œbuiltā€ for the show, during its (7-year?) run? :open_mouth: This was b/c of all the ones they had to crash during the show. I think after the series wrapped they said they only had one sole ā€œsurvivorā€ car and a bunch of ā€œleftoversā€ for parts. Wow. I donā€™t know how they could afford that kind of production costs, but I guess b/c the show was such a big hit they could charge the biggest $$ :money_mouth_face: for ads during it to cover the expenses and more. :thinking: I have heard that, ever since the recent ā€œneo-Civil Rights movementā€, some stations are refusing to show reruns of the program b/c of the General Lee with its Confederate flags on it and all. Others will show it, but are going to remove any scenes that show the Confederate flag on the car. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

As to that chase scene with the Series 1 (2?), are they really that errr ā€œspeedyā€, or was the engine built up a bit for that scene? :confused: If for real, I think I need to look at trading my XJSes in for one of those ā€¦ looks like they can blow the doors off either Superblue or Superblack ā€¦ :frowning_face: