Wrong set of triple SU’s on eBay

Hi all
Just a heads-up there is a incorrectly labeled set of SU’s for sale on eBay, and I know some of our members are interested in making this change. The set offered is NOT for an e-type, but rather a MK10 sedan.
I have sent a note to the seller explaining that, and we will see if he changes the ad. Here’s what I sent him:

“Hi. Unfortunately this set is from a MK10 sedan, and not an e type. The necks of the carbs are too tall, and the manifold is not angled down. Also this has a auxiliary starting carburetor, where an e type set has choke levers on the bottom of each carb. In short they won’t fit, as they will be several inches too tall, and they can’t be connected.
I’m sure you didn’t intend to mislead but it would be terrible for someone to spend that kind of money only to find they are not correct.”

Hopefully he’ll revise the ad, but just in case, a warning to fellow members here.

1 Like

He heeded your advice. Now listed for Mk10.

Mount flanges on all three carbs have been butchered. No bien.

So what’s the going price for a real rebuildable 3:8 E-Type set these days?

Seen them go for in excess of $3500.

E-Type never had the starting choke (enricher).

I’ve read several discussions regarding the HD8 MK10 carbs (AUD37C in my case) on an E-type. The previous owner successfully made this conversion on my '68 E-type and it works well. The only way it fits is with the downward sloping E-type manifold. As mentioned previously, these carbs also lack the manual choke linkage due to the enrichment device. The best alterantive is to use the enrichment device and plumb it into the knock outs on the manifold. To operate the solenoid, you can connect it the manual choke pull on the dash running a relay triggered by the choke indicator light circuit or similar method, so the dash still looks correct. It functions well enough if you don’t want to spend bing money on a new E-type carb setup.

In case anyone noticed the the old heater hose and crusty barb fitting on the back of the maniford and crusty barb fitting, I have them on order.

Best regards,
Craig

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Many, many times we’ve been told that the Mark IX tall bells won’t work, even if you use the downsloping E-type manifold: it’s good to see definitive proof that that is not true. Glad you figured out how to use the AED on that set up.

It’s the full combo that doesn’t fit. You can go half measures with plumbing and machining and I’ve said that before here. One issue I had was the double o-ring/alloy heat insulators/spring mounts being thicker. This moves the filter plenum outboard far enough that tge rubber diaphragm atop the dustbin cleaner leaves a narrow gap on the engine side of the lid.