WW Fluid Issue - Ugh

Ugh, it’s little issues like this that seem to crop up on Superblue, esp. now that she is @ 100K+ mileage. :angry: Went to hit my WW wash yesterday and, despite hearing the pump humming and the WW moving, not a drop came out onto my windshield. :open_mouth: At first I thought I was imagining things, as my “low fluid level” warning light was not on, so I knew it still had fluid in the system. :thinking:

Any idea what might be wrong? I had just replaced the “Y” one-way valve with a new one less than 2 years ago, and replaced the tubing (with the green-tinted version this time) earlier this year. The only thing I can think of is that maybe some bit of debris has gotten into the system somehow and has completely blocked passage of the fluid. However, I am always careful to only use the usual blue cleaner fluid stuff (or the green one w. “anti-bug” properties) when topping up. I can’t imagine there being debris in that stuff. :confused: btw, is the filler opening on our XJS reservoirs supposed to have some kind of filter screen in them, like is present on the X-300 and XJ8 filler tubes (and the XJ-40, IIRC)? I don’t think either Superblue or Superblack has one …

Atty,

You know that nobody is using that these days. Rmeember - you’ve got plenty of poor people to support on each red light.

Check tubing for any kinks first. You may need to undo the wiper assembly to inspect it from the underside. Also - if there is any puddle under your banger. You can always reverse your motor and flush the debris out.

You read my mind there … i.e. if there is debris in the system, how to drain it to get it out.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

I would unhook closest hose to the pump…put on a piece of fresh hose snd have some helper turn it on… start there just to see if pump works… Btw… be sure and aim the hose at a salesman !

2 Likes

LOL @ “aim the hose at salesman”, scrimbonator. Well, by way of update, I tried hitting the pump button several times in a row (risky, I know, in that if no fluid is going through then the pump can overheat that way, or sometimes even if it is :grimacing: ). I got out (I hate these operations that require a helper, and I don’t have one. :angry: ) and ran around to the front to see where it was coming out. Before i even got there I noticed a puddle of fluid under the area near where the reservoir is located. :open_mouth: Since it did not drain out (i.e. via gravity), then apparently it is being pumped out. That tells me at least the reservoir is not cracked (typical flaw on X-300s and XJ8s, due to lower, exposed location of the reservoir). :relieved: Will pop the bonnet tonight and spot where it is coming out at. Could be the outlet hose somehow became detached from the reservoir, but, if so, I have no idea how that could have happened. :confused:

I’d say it’s possible a hose blew off the pump or a connector down there. Either that or maybe it rubbed through on sheet metal?

If hoses are hooked up and clear… Maybe its the orfice where water comes out… Years ago on my U.S. cars they would get plugged and sometimes a pin or needle would clean it out. … Look See

1 Like

Neither of my cars has a working WSW!! but, no issue for now. I ain’t going anywhere. It ain’t about to rain!!

When they worked, I weaned them off store bought fluid. tap water and a bit of dish soap. No freeze issue around here. Great !

Leak in the resevoir! I think that is what went bonkers in my Jeep !!!

Not a clue as to the Jaguar. I bench tested the pump. Great stream. Not much capacity in it’s resevoir…

While I was working at my local independent Jaguar shop, someone came in with windshield washer issues like yours. After first clearing the nozzles it started working.
Before buttoning it up, I went to refill the reservoir and noticed there was slime floating at the top of the tank. I had to remove the tank and dumped out about 5 pounds of assorted biological species.
I don’t know what the customer was using for fluid but I only use a mixture containing something that kills bacteria, fungus and slime. 50/50 Windex and water works.

Equi,

Most of the Jaguar owners in UK are using pure, clean water from garden water butt. There is nothing bad in being eco-friendly…

Atty is from US…

Pretty close to what it turned out to be, Timer … There is a short piece of small diameter standard black hose attached to the output of the reservoir … It runs for about 3"-4" or so and then attaches to the (green-tinted) smaller fluid hose via small hose clamp, with the smaller diameter green hose passing inside the end of the black hose. At least, that’s the way it is on Superblue. Is that how it is SUPPOSED to be, though? :confused: I keep in mind this was the one repair project that tech bud got RIGHT, or so I thought (had him r/r the limp-as-spaghetti old hose with the new green-tinted stuff, from reservoir to nozzle jets) many months ago, before we “parted ways”. I’m wondering now if he took a shortcut or some such on the job :roll_eyes: I can’t imagine using a hose clamp to “fasten” two pieces of hose together, esp. where one passes inside the other one. ? :confused: I wonder if instead the connection is supposed to be via one of those plastic “spade” connectors passing between the ends of the two hoses? If so, I have a box of them in assorted sizes and configurations ( e.g. “y” shape", “t” shape, straight, etc.) on hand. :thinking: If the method of connection is in fact OEM, they I have to wonder what made the two hoses let loose from each other - the water pressure is what tends to force them apart. Did somehow the little hose clamp come loose on its own? :confused: In any event, I’ll try tightening the clamp up tonight and see if it holds this time. :crossed_fingers:

I’d have to guess that’s not oem. Holding soft hose to soft hose with a clamp usually doesn’t work well. Probably best to put either a little piece of metal tube or a plastic barb connector between them in my opinion

Yes, plastic barbs is what I have … oops-nay on the “spade connector” … :blush:

1 Like