adjustment being on my own}. it runs and looks great. 8
months in, it has only wanted new pads. dither dither and
yon, I am getting spotty but then again that’s nothing new.–
Rlysmthn '96 VDP Black/ OM Los Angeles '80 QP x2
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

In reply to a message from rlysmthn sent Sun 23 Aug 2015:

I would say $6000 fopr an engine overhaul on an X-308 is
cheap, too. But, after the build, you have a $5000. car,
assuming everthing else is in great shape.

I would think you could install a used engine, purchased for
$1500 - $2000. or so for about $1500. and be ahead.–
Ross - 89 XJS, 96 XJ6 (I hope), 99 XJR, 02 XJ8, 12 XF-R
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

1 Like

In reply to a message from sparkenzap sent Mon 24 Aug 2015:

Tend to agree 200% with Ross that it will be far more sense
to fit a replacement salvaged engine with a
return/replacement guarantee, than having a rebuild done for
$6K!
I seem to remember discussions on J-L MANY years back on
this with a Poster in Italy and IIRC there were isues even 5
or 6 years ago in sourcing pistons, rings and other
components and we never heard the outcome.–
The original message included these comments:

cheap, too. But, after the build, you have a $5000. car,
assuming everthing else is in great shape.
I would think you could install a used engine, purchased for
$1500 - $2000. or so for about $1500. and be ahead.

Neil 1997 3.2 http://www.jag-lovers.org/v.htm?1242166704
MALDON, United Kingdom
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

This may be a great time for your crony to learn about looking ahead and
reducing risks. Initially he decided that not checking his oil level
wouldn’t have an impact - it did. Then he decided to pay someone to tear the
engine down to piece parts without even knowing if he could get the
replacement parts to rebuild it.

Whatever your crony decides to do will be over-shadowed by the valuable
lessons that he takes away from this experience. You can’t put a price tag
on that.

Cheers,
Jack - '99 XJ8L PA USA

< snip >

XJ8 Carnival Red, a looker. ran out of oil, in shop since April, crony was
quoted .6 for complete overhaul. I saw pics of complete disassembly, cleaned
and in orderly display, saw no evidence of damage, shop has one man on the
job , My guess is that its a another crony that has a shop, I am new to
this group 6 mo and don’t know everyone, so I am trepidations, I think that
6 grand is cheap, I don’t know anything more. Does anyone have input, any
would be appreciated, I am a Registered Auto Repair Dealer in retirement
close my shop in 1993 I rarely work on anyone else’s car and am a bit out of
the current loop. My wish is that it tis indeed a friend and that indeed the
wait is for a favor project, and that all is well. I did offer to go have a
look see if the shop does not mind I don’t want to barge in. I have told my
friend that it’s a good price and that the mechanic has to do the higher
paying work first so that he has a paycheck and that the job is sidelined
for this reason, My expectation for an engine in that car an overhaul would
be easy 8 to 10 grand locally here in Los Angeles, I wouldn’t have gone the
route myself, put it back on the road with a transplant, for what I estimate
to be about 3 to 3.5, 6.0 for an overhaul, a master work, sure sounds
enticing. I have seen pristine V12’s the whole car go for less than .8 I am
dithering, so off I go to meet up with the group. My X300 VDP is all but
abandoned, put in a new top notch battery at a good price, as the other had
an open circuit between cells and was a year out of the running on a 3 free
repl. I am driving a type S real nice
3.0 that {I bought for someone else, when it wasn’t good enough and not a
Bentley. I severed the tie, bye, Quite an adjustment being on my own}. it
runs and looks great. 8 months in, it has only wanted new pads. dither
dither and yon, I am getting spotty but then again that’s nothing new.–
Rlysmthn '96 VDP Black/ OM Los Angeles '80 QP x2

< snip >

As it was the social butterfly know it all finally got the car back, it had a ticking follower my 0pinion is that the mechanic blew the oil out of the hydraulic unit and or left some thing in the oil galley, as I do not believe that the the galley plugs were opened. So tick tick tick one only, of course the buddy was told it didn’t matter, then there was a malfunction and I knew that it was an oversight, he got charged anyway, Finally he took it to a Ferrari Mechanic that another buddy knew, He was told there not to take it on any trips, I say the car was fine, I came to find out that in the previous two year period the transmission was rebuilt, and other various and sundry services, it was stated that over $10,000 was spent on it and I think its a low figure. Of course I’m too old and antiquated to know anything and he is the son of a doctor and from India and is always right, God help the poor babies, Flibber Flabber, Jabber Bosh,

Well, thanks for the update. I understood some of that!

1 Like

As the world goes on I forgot to mention that I viewed many photographs of the torn down engine in the Carnival Red ride, I did not see any damage evident, an exercise that was it.

Down the line, the current events, X300 Joe has not, fuel at the rail, He had been turning on and warmed up about every 6 weeks, then one day (I knew I had fuel) he just cranked, I’m on the trail of the juice, rather trace than pull back the trim to go direct. Any witty and wise input?

Update, as usual it’s been a sleepless night,
Greetings to all, the X300 is still sitting have a fuel pump to install, The S type is sitting yet in good running condition I may drive on my morning commute, The 96 SVR is also dormant, I bought a X-40 pristine in Oyster with 13200 mi it was always garaged and dealer serviced, just had the fuel pump, Ign coil Module, pads and rotors, battery, pickups, cap rotor wires plugs sensors and what not else, it was parked on the street and suffered a hit and run to the rt rear, it was listed for sale at a ridiculous price, it was bought new by a couple and driven around 4000 mi a year, he passed on 6 years ago and she recently stopped driving and passed it on to her nephew, he just wanted rid of it once it got hit, I didn’t need another car but a buddy that scored a condo on Maui, (I was the first visitor) was coming into town and expected his '67 Benz 200D to be drivable hence the X-40 had a purpose to tend,
to and I planned to pass it on to my worker once he got his driver license. I was floored by how well it handled and its image glowing in the outstanding and it’s design it was a head turner and I got many compliments, alas igt was hit on the front left side, still driveable my insurance deceided to total it out was a shame I loved the car everyone said it was the perfect image for me, so there I was it was a total I knew that right off, I received a check of the payoff amount and it was way more than I imagined then the hunt I needed a car to drive the money was hot in my pocket the search began, there were a few 20004-8 XJ’s then there was an XJL 2011 with 69000 miles the ad headline read NEEDS REPAIR that was the lure, he was told what was wrong with it and fancied himself an automotive expert he told me it would have to be tpwed from his place not to drive it more than a block I brought my MaxiDas cleared the codes it had two hard misfires and random misfires and sundry other ones, I did make the short drive spent a good amount of time looking it over (it was evening and dark) the only thing that troubled me was the smell of the coolant I wondered about that and I thought it might have a cooling system problem, the seller was amazed that I was going to buy it, he had bought it 125 miles away in a desert resort community made it back and then the car went crazy engine shuddering and shaking he took it round to get it checked and was quoted an exorbitant amount and he wanted to get it out of his sight, he was a college student and daddy gave him the money to buy it, he mentioned if I found there was a cooling problem he would refund me $500. (a bit out of order but here goes, I spent about an hour clearing codes and playing on the DAS it was running smoothly by the time I drove it home, I babied it and kept local for a few days and then deceided to heat it up to light up the cats, before long there was a big cloud of boiling coolant clouding the air, enough to impede traffic I drove it the two blocks home with my heade hung as mI got the disapproving looks and that’s what to expect from a jag, pity, it sat in a puddle out front for a couple of days I still had the rental I checked it out finally and found the coolant flowed like from a garden hose from beneath the front of the intake manifold, thought it was a bypass hose, next day undid the manifold procured the bypass Y at the dealer was cheap $91 with tax and installed it (the old one de-bonded at the parting line between the upper and lower halves (looking at it later it could have been bonded back together easily and as a safeguard there is a wide flat lip on each half that could have easily accommodated self tapping screws as insurance preventing it from happening again (#useful if your operating on a tight budget, I would do this instead)
I’ve been learning a lot about this model it’s a great modern Jaguar but I shure miss the X-40 with its easy to see all the way around view through its greenhouse and it’s perfect balance making it an absolute joy to behold and drive. The X-351 lwb is more powerful though lacks the premium ride, it’s taut and responsive and when in dynamic mode hunkers down tightens up the already
strong suspension it maneuvers at speed on the freeway where there are way too many people driving high powered cars not versed in the art and science of driving careening about like missiles who no doubt will end up in a tree whilst making it an unsafe horror for other drivers and passengers, WOW add the wide spread use of pot dulling response relaxing inhibitions etoh and other recreationals let alone the absense of road manners that is quite worrisome. gon stop here saying this about that I remember the National drivers test on I believe CBS or NBC that was aired for the nation in prime time mid 60s

I would think you could get a NEW engine for around that amount … or a good used one for a LOT less. :thinking: But then, you are in L.A. :money_with_wings: But even greater chance I would think you could find a good used one for less out there … :confused: