[x300] AJ16 Oil Viscosity

I took the X330 in for an oil change I settled on Valvoline 5w-40 Full Synthetic Oil. I’ll change it at 6,000 miles.

Captain O
It’s funny if you were around back then…
Look at the posts
I change my oil when ever or I use what ever BUT!
I just turned … 135,000 or 185,000
That would have been unheard of with the xj40 and forget about the old series 3
Now oil has changed with no zinc, better synthetic and Castro’s eliminating a lot of its products for ok’d cars
I used 20/50 all summer and 10/40
In the winter non synthetic
175,000 miles in 4 1/2 years
They were great cars
If yours starts weeping at the cam cover go 10/40 non synthetic and report back
Gtjoey

Wait, what?

I can’t get my car to not leak past the seals at the camcover. You’re telling me a heavier oil will change that?!?!

Veekay how many miles and what oil…
Until real current, I still stand by in real life time, synthetic which is a great oil is terrible on our old cars which were never meant to be. The tolerances are too wide.
Into the 2000 they are fine but before that, ehhh
20/50 summer, 10/40 winter, never ever leaked , non synthetic.
I did a test for castrol way back in the day with my original restored etype, new seals, cut crank, and all the rest.
It pissed out of every seal, then Castrol invented a blend for older cars, better but still not good.
Old non synthetic back in and almost dry to the bone :slight_smile: But thats me…
GTJOEY1314

I’ve been using 0w40 for 10 years now. Castrol Edge. I have 130,000 miles on the car. Started with 60,000.

The only place I show oil is at the camcover seal. The spark plug wells are dry.

I just changed my Oil at Express Lube and they used Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w-40 at 182,426 miles. They told me I should change it 188,426 miles. That’s the plan.

Try it if it works stick with it
They are both old settled in cars
If they start leaking go back to the tried and true…
Good luck
Gtjowy1314

The X330 was running on 5w-20 with a Synthetic/Natural Blend Oil without any leaks. The Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w-40 should serve the “Big Cat” rather well.

Report back
Remember old synthetic is different from today’s and with the blend it should hold up well
Would be neat though on the next to go old fashioned see what happens?
Good luck my friend
Gtjoey14-4

I’m heading out on a 2300 mile trip. I’m hoping to enjoy the Big Cat for a long time.

Thanks, brother.

It’s a great drive
Start a new thread and post pictures
It will inspire us all!