X300 autobox oil level

Hi, I’m trying to get the right level of oil on my x300 autobox dipstick, finding it hard to read the level any help please
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Paul.
There is a special category for the X300, so I moved your thread over there.

With fresh oil sometimes it’s indeed hard to read the level.
I light coat of talcum on the dipstick might help.

I have taken this from the sites x300 book….

7.1 - Fluid Check ( , )

This should be done with the transmission at normal operating temperature with the engine running, so ensure the car has been driven a few miles first. Cycle the J-gate from Park to Drive and back again a couple of times, then with engine idling, check the fluid level.

Also look for any contamination of the fluid and for a burnt smell indicating a change is required.

The book can be found on the old site, here…
http://www.jag-lovers.org/ebooks/bookindex.php?Vbook=x300

Hi and thanks, I have done this allready but you cant get a true reading on the dipstick,

Thank you, I will try that

Paul Swainston

Hi again
The problem I have is that I am following the check oil cold routine, I am going through all the gears, leaving the engine running while checking dipstick but every time I withdraw the dipstick the whole of the plastic measuring bit is covered right up to the hot mark !! I’ve tried this a few times and still the same, any advice please, regards paul

Paul Swainston

Sounds like its a little over filled.

What is the check oil cold routine? I only have a hashed hot area to indicate the correct level when oil is hot.

Maybe that’s your problem?

We are OVER thinking a bullet proof old fashioned car!
Start the car till it warms up,
Let the stall converter fill to full capacity inside the transmission
Once warmed up after a couple of minutes
Pull the dip stick , wipe it clean then stick it in and see what it reads
It’s been that away about 70 years
Good luck
Gtjoey

Overfilled.

Check the level when hot. Not cold. Not warm. Hot.

Drain off enough (1 quart?) to bring the level below the full mark when cold. Now drive the car several miles and recheck.

ATF expands a LOT when hot

Cheers
DD