That isn’t sarcasm. I really mean it.
Some folk, on all kinds of forums, never feel better than
when they are telling somebody how much smarter they are
than the guy who needs the help.–
1995 Jaguar XJ6 3.2
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from jrinam sent Wed 23 Mar 2011:

John, there are plenty of us here that would welcome your posts.

Sadly, there are a very few (and we all know who there are) who,
chase members like yourself, away with their rude and uncalled for
comments. I have been a member since 1995 and have seen a change in
the reception members encounter. It has not always been this way.
It needs to change!

I, along with majority of this board, say ‘’ I am sorry for your
experience. Please do not give up on us.‘’

Cheers,

Dave–
The original message included these comments:

question. I will go back to the xjs side of jl and if I ever get an
xj8, I wont bother anyone here, I will post it in the ‘‘lumps’’

http://picasaweb.google.com/JozJag/JozJagJaguar
Albuquerque,New Mexico, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

ever wonder why this forum is dead? Sadly, there are a very few (and we all know who there are) who,
chase members like yourself, away with their rude and uncalled for
comments.

I’m not sure where/why this has suddenly surfaced or why this tread appears to appear in various other Sections of J-L, I stick mainly to the X300 Forum and done so few quite a number of years and before that the XJ40 one.

I recall that a few years back there was good natured banter between the main contributors on the site but I was/am blissfully unaware that people were being chased off. The reason I’ve been here for so long andwhy I’ve only ever visited the other forums whilst trawling for information is mainly the fact that J-L is essentially a serious Body of Knowledge not a Talking Shop/Social Network!

Re. Lack of members, perhaps the X300, X308, X350 etc. are now getting so old and mature that all the major problems are well known and dealt with across that time span.

This all causes me to recall a Tread I posted some years back namely:

The 90-9-1 Rule.

Hi all,

Here’s an interesting concept, I wonder if it applies to
this forum ‘‘Jag-lovers’’?

There�s a basic principle in online communities called the
�90-9-1� rule. Here�s how it works:

• Ninety percent of members are readers � they are
    participating by reading what other people write
  • Nine percent contribute from time to time
  • One percent contribute a lot and account for most of
    the activity � these are the Community Champions and the
    more vocal members of the community.
    It’s difficult to tell using the information that we have,
    i.e. total number of members, some of whom use a number of
    the sub-forums etc. and the list of recent activity at the
    bottom of the browser. I guess it’s probably about true and
    it’s only people like me with time on their hands and an
    interest in solving problems who are in the 1%.

Still let’s keep up the good work as it is a valuable asset
to all Jaguar owners!

John;
Like you, I’ve received the terse “it’s in the archives, go find it” remarks from time to time, and it’s always been from one of the 1%ers. Fortunately, others have been kind enough to skip the sarcasm and offer helpful information. On the whole, it’s hard to beat the bank of knowledge to be found here so don’t give up.

when I bought my first jag, an xj40, I new very little and did not yet find this site. after finding jaglovers, I relized I could of had a better car if just 1 year newer and a few other things that could of influenced my decision. I was told ‘should of asked before purchasing one’ when I bought the xjs, I was already here a few years and made a better decision. new what years were best for me and bought accordingly. 5 years later, the xjs was finished (so I thought) so time to buy another to add to the fleet. lots of different options over the years, 6 or v8, supercharged, 4 speed or 5, body changes, v8 problems on different years and so many unknown differences over the years. it only made sense to ask! if I can only use the archives, what good is a forum? I did hang out without posting (as instructed) I did check the archives (as instructed) I did not post before being a member for more than 6 monthes (as instructed) and when I had several in my area and cash in hand, I did the unthinkable, I asked for advice on a forum that I donate to yearly (not any more) between the online comments and private e-mails, I had enough and left for five years. you would of thought I drank their last beer and raped their poodle! even the xjs forum had a few that detracted from the site but nothing that rude, mainly just ‘experts’ wanting to sell you something rather than explain a 5 minute fix. 5 years later, most of them are gone and the site had a lot less traffic. it was recently brought up that the x300 wasn’t getting much traffic so I brought up this old subject, glad someone at least saw it. other than being acknowledged, I have little to gain from this bitter rant but the site as a whole can gain tremendously by not running of new posters. sure, I have read some pretty dumb posts but a smart answer chases them away, ignoring them makes the site useless and sharing the answer keeps them here. changing to the new format is a huge improvement, not just the pics but having all recent posts show up allows all forums to answer questions and I find myself giving advice in forums I never visit. helps make the wealth of knowledge more available and pulls info from new or unknown sources. no x300 in the near future but maybe someday.

Who requested you not to post until you had been using the site for 6 months?

honestly don’t remember. even if I did, he would just be the scapegoat for the masses.

I’ve been inactive, or nearly so, on this site for years simply because circumstances have prevented me from caring much about my cars. Now I come back and randomly see this thread. I’d just like to say that it’s basically the quality of the information on jag-lovers and the intelligence and courtesy of its regular users that allowed me to run numerous Jaguars that anyone with any sense would have written off and had a lot of driving pleasure from them, ranging from a Series III V12 through XJS and XJ40-R to X308. That was a long sentence…

Yeah, people have been a bit snippy with me from time to time, especially when I’ve asked stupid questions I should have been able to answer myself if I used the search facility properly. I’m a few days into another basket-case and I fully expect to have more stupid questions to ask in the future. I have no complaints, and I only wish I could contribute more - but I don’t have the smarts the rest of you have.

FWIW the Series forum was by far the most active and courteously written group on jag-lovers and it would be wonderful if there was that level of interest and contribution to all the sections.

Welcome back and I hope you get the new addition sorted.

1 Like