[x300] paint problem? has anybody had their paint turn cloudy?

just woundering if this is a common problem or just a one off!! my
95 xjr is well pamperd its washed and polished every week and its
only used on weekends but after bringing it out of the garage last
weekend I noticed grey misty patches all over my bonnet after
getting the t cut out I noticed that it was underneath the top
clear coat and no amount of polishing was going to get to it!
i still havent worked out how or why it got there it seems my
paints 'got a disease as its all doty in some places.
has anbody else had or heard of this before or is this just my bad
luck!!

cheers !
del–
deljagman
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

In reply to a message from deljagman sent Tue 16 May 2006:

Hi Del,

Funny enough, something simular was posted a few weeks ago.

This might be some interesting reading.
http://forums.jag-lovers.org/av.php?845595m13

Have to say, Not seen your specific problem. Oh and I have not read
the above thread all the way through.

Try a search in the archives under ‘‘clear coat’’ and let us all
know, via this thread, if you turn anything up.

ATB

Steve–
The original message included these comments:

just woundering if this is a common problem or just a one off!! my


http://www.skjagtech.co.uk TWR XJ-S TWR XJ6-S3 and X300
Somerset, United Kingdom
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from deljagman sent Tue 16 May 2006:

Common Problem and they say there are those that have and those
that will. The clear coat is starting to deteriorate and is a
sickness for this era of car. Get over to a body and paint shop
before you do any more damage and you will be surprised what hey
can do for you at a reasonable price. I had my bonnet, roof and
trunk lid stripped, painted and cleared of for about $1K. US.–
The original message included these comments:

just woundering if this is a common problem or just a one off!! my


Al DeMarzo
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from skjagtech sent Tue 16 May 2006:

it semms it a common problem on 94 95 96 models as jaguar used a
very soft paint in order to get a high gloss finish a problem that
jaguar have admited to and told me if the car was 6 years or
younger they woulg have rectafied the problem for free (not a lot
of good now!!)

thanks all!!–
deljagman
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from deljagman sent Fri 19 May 2006:

I would like to hear more about this soft paint.–
The original message included these comments:

it semms it a common problem on 94 95 96 models as jaguar used a
very soft paint in order to get a high gloss finish a problem that
jaguar have admited to and told me if the car was 6 years or
younger they woulg have rectafied the problem for free (not a lot
of good now!!)


uncle
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from uncle sent Fri 19 May 2006:

I have a 98Xj8 with the silver color and I have white, cloudy-
looking splotches in several places. One being the fuel tank
lid. I thought it was just my car. Also have little blotches
about the size of a dime that are a lighter shade on the roof
and a couple on the bonnet. I guess I will be checking into a
paint job soon.–
Earnest: 1998 XJ8 - 1982 XJ6
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from Earnest sent Sat 20 May 2006:

thats exactly what im taking about weird isnt it I would like to
get to the bottem of this problem as I dont think this is a age
related thing all of these paint problems that get posted here are
going to be put forward to my brother inlaw who is the managing
director of my local jaguar dealer I would like to see his reaction
to these posts and the fact that so many of us have to visit
bodyshops just to make our jaguars look as jaguars should!!–
The original message included these comments:

I have a 98Xj8 with the silver color and I have white, cloudy-
looking splotches in several places. One being the fuel tank


deljagman
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

At 06:08 PM 5/20/2006, you wrote:

In reply to a message from Earnest sent Sat 20 May 2006:

thats exactly what im taking about weird isnt it I would like to
get to the bottem of this problem as I dont think this is a age
related thing all of these paint problems that get posted here are
going to be put forward to my brother inlaw who is the managing
director of my local jaguar dealer I would like to see his reaction
to these posts and the fact that so many of us have to visit
bodyshops just to make our jaguars look as jaguars should!!

You can add me to the list: 99 XJ8 with clearcoat ‘issues’.

Gus

In reply to a message from uncle sent Fri 19 May 2006:

The clearcoat paint system was first introduced in the late 70’s,
but the cost was prohibitive. Material advancements meant that by
the late 80’s its use was widespread, and is now the main system
used. It consists of primer/colour basecoat/top clearcoat - usually
acrylic. While offering a superior gloss finish, it is prone to
marking quite easily. Perhaps more importantly,
compounding/polishing this paint too often or too vigorously can
cause it to lose some of the added UV filters, leading to a loss of
gloss and clarity and sometimes an ultimate failure of the paint
system. Not much comfort if this has happened already, and it may
not be due to over enthusiastic polishing alone. Maybe Jaguar
omitted all or part of the UV protectants for some years. A
happorth of tar etc…–
The original message included these comments:

I would like to hear more about this soft paint.


kyle04
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

Until and unless we find a pattern, I don’t think we can blame the painting
process. For example, Ford had a horrible clearcoat problem on their trucks
in the '89-90. Within about five years, every one that spent any time in the
elements began peeling and flaking. I’m not positive, but I think dark
colors suffered worse. Horizontal surfaces also fared worse, indicating that
it was sun related.

They paid to have thousands (tens of thousands?) of vehicles stripped and
repainted. The percentages were huge compared to the negative feedback here.
At this point, it could be over-zealous detailing by a PO, the car being
parked in the sun for extended periods, some atmospheric contaminant, or
even a car care product. Age is another factor. I wouldn’t be surprised to
see the beginning of paint problems on a seven-year-old car that’s spent a
good bit of time in the sun.

We visited Jaguar’s summer test facility right around the release of the
S-type. They had some XJ40 test mules that they had run to death, then they
let them sit in the parking lot to see how long the paint would hold up.
They were looking pretty rough after baking four or five years untouched in
the Arizona sun. I know that’s not a typical scenario, but it is indicative.

If anyone is tracking the responses, it will be interesting to see if we
establish a pattern. Year, market, color, and typical environment would be
factors.

“Mark 1” Mark Stephenson
'52 XK120 S673129, '59 Mk1, '84,'85,'86 &'95 XJ6

Perhaps more importantly,
compounding/polishing this paint too often or too vigorously can
cause it to lose some of the added UV filters, leading to a loss of
gloss and clarity and sometimes an ultimate failure of the paint
system. Not much comfort if this has happened already, and it may
not be due to over enthusiastic polishing alone. Maybe Jaguar
omitted all or part of the UV protectants for some years. A
happorth of tar etc…

In reply to a message from Mark Stephenson sent Mon 22 May 2006:

i have cloudy patchs on my boot lid. cant seem to do any thing with
them. doh.–
carl roberts
warwick, United Kingdom
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from carl roberts sent Mon 22 May 2006:

thanks carl could you tell me what color and year your, car is as
we are going to see if there is a pattern in color and year for
this common problem!

regards
del–
The original message included these comments:

I have cloudy patchs on my boot lid. cant seem to do any thing with
carl roberts


deljagman
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from deljagman sent Tue 23 May 2006:

sorry for delay. dont log on every day.

it’s a 95 sov. brg/ dark green. it probably has a fancy name for
it. haha.–
carl roberts
warwick, United Kingdom
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from carl roberts sent Thu 25 May 2006:

'95 Daimler Six, Marine Blue. Began its life in Singapore and has
lived for some years in France, now turning cloudy on roof, bonnet
and bootlid.–
Bob Barnes. Daimler X300 4.0L
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from Frenchbob sent Thu 25 May 2006:

thanks guys seems to be the 94-96 models with this particular
problem I will be chasing these issues up , keep letting me know
and I would particually like to hear if there are any newer cars
with these problems!!

many thanks
del–
The original message included these comments:

lived for some years in France, now turning cloudy on roof, bonnet


deljagman
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

At 14:04 25-05-2006, you wrote:

In reply to a message from Frenchbob sent Thu 25 May 2006:

thanks guys seems to be the 94-96 models with this particular
problem I will be chasing these issues up , keep letting me know
and I would particually like to hear if there are any newer cars
with these problems!!

many thanks
del

Hi Del,

Did you note my response last weekend?? (1999 XJ8 - Mistral Blue):
Clear coat issues on hood and trunk.

Gus

Gus Macintosh: Pasadena, CA
99 XJ8 Mistral Blue
80K Miles - (Old Nik : Engine replaced at 64K)

In reply to a message from Gus Macintosh sent Thu 25 May 2006:

hi gus
yes I did note youre response but I would like to hear more of
newer cars like yours because jaguars responce to the xj8 is that
(there have been no major paint issues with the xj8 and any that
have arisen are isolated) however they did not respond the same
when I showed them the complaints for (94-96) cars. my car is
currently at jaguar where one of their body shop staff will be
looking at it.so I need more people to come forward so we can get
jaguar to lisen and pheraps do somthing about it, I have been
offerd 25% of a paint job but I am trying to push for more, and
whats good for one is good for us all!!–
The original message included these comments:

Did you note my response last weekend?? (1999 XJ8 - Mistral Blue):
Clear coat issues on hood and trunk.


deljagman
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

At 08:38 26-05-2006, you wrote:

In reply to a message from Gus Macintosh sent Thu 25 May 2006:

hi gus
yes I did note youre response but I would like to hear more of
newer cars like yours because jaguars responce to the xj8 is that
(there have been no major paint issues with the xj8 and any that
have arisen are isolated) however they did not respond the same
when I showed them the complaints for (94-96) cars. my car is
currently at jaguar where one of their body shop staff will be
looking at it.so I need more people to come forward so we can get
jaguar to lisen and pheraps do somthing about it, I have been
offerd 25% of a paint job but I am trying to push for more, and
whats good for one is good for us all!!

Good work. Let me know if anything comes of it. My car is an
Arizona/California car so lots of sun! Please keep me posted.

Gus

My 1995 VDP with the fading and in places peeling (clear coat only)
paint is Jade green. I love the car, but am sorely disappointed in the
paint. Located in New Mexico, high elevation (7000 ft.) with days over
100 f in summer and below 0 f in winter. Lots and lots of sunshine here
year round with extremely low humidity, 7% lately. I am the third owner,
original owner was a little old lady who leased the car, I have no clue
if she garaged it or not. 2nd owner was a retired air force officer who
told me he kept it in a garage although when I first saw it, it was
covered with dirt. I have no garage so the car resides outdoors without
a car cover. I have had the car for three years, it replaced my 1993
XJ40 which also resided outdoors and did not have paint problems.

Please keep us all posted.

Thanks for your efforts!

Tom Souther
1995 VDP 88k miles

gusmac1@altrionet.com wrote:> At 08:38 26-05-2006, you wrote:

In reply to a message from Gus Macintosh sent Thu 25 May 2006:

hi gus
yes I did note youre response but I would like to hear more of
newer cars like yours because jaguars responce to the xj8 is that
(there have been no major paint issues with the xj8 and any that
have arisen are isolated) however they did not respond the same
when I showed them the complaints for (94-96) cars. my car is
currently at jaguar where one of their body shop staff will be
looking at it.so I need more people to come forward so we can get
jaguar to lisen and pheraps do somthing about it, I have been
offerd 25% of a paint job but I am trying to push for more, and
whats good for one is good for us all!!

Good work. Let me know if anything comes of it. My car is an
Arizona/California car so lots of sun! Please keep me posted.

Gus

In reply to a message from NM47Knuck sent Sat 27 May 2006:

thanks tom youre case has been added to my list and will help
greatly with our case against jaguar

regards
del–
The original message included these comments:

My 1995 VDP with the fading and in places peeling (clear coat only)


deljagman
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php