X300 VDP Front Sway Bar

The std. sway bar is 3/4 (18mm) on the comfort suspension. My car has the 7/8" (22mm) sport sway bar option and standard springs with Bilstein HD B6 shocks.

Has anyone put on an XJR 1" (25mm) sway bar? If so does it require a rear sway bar for handling stability? Is it a bad switch all on its own? I just happen to have a new XJR front sway bar.

Thanks for feedback.

I wouldn’t say ‘bad’. Everything is a compromise.

You’ll get flatter cornering with the bigger bar…which you’ll appreciate even in modest driving. If pushed hard you’ll also get more under-steer. Adding the rear bar will give some additional flatness and reduce under-steer.

Cheers
DD

Thanks Doug. What’s interesting is that JDHT shows the same mounting brackets for all 3 sizes of sway bars (Comfort 3/4"; Sports 7/8" and XJR 1"). I have URO bushings for the 3/4" and the 7/8". I thought the 7/8" was rather thin so I cannot imagine what the XJR one is like. Incidentally URO does not offer the 1" (25mm) one so sourcing it (MNA2102DA ) makes them expensive at over $45 each. Beyond that I guess I could try it to ensure steering is ok. I’m a little concerned about that.

Btw - I presume you would get less understeer with a thicker sway bar on the front of a rwd car? Don’t need oversteer.

Thanks…Gary

No, you’d get more understeer; more tendency for the front wheels to ‘plow’. You’d probably need to be on a slalom course…or driving very hard on your favorite mountain road…for this to come into play. The other 95% of the time you’ll enjoy flatter cornering

Cheers
DD

Adding the rear sway bar is a pain, but I love the way my 02 VDP stays stable.

Did add XJR springs along with the front/rear XJR sway bars and have never regretted the change.