X308 2000 4.0L N/A Tapping on cold start

Hello Folks,
I have a 2000 X308 4.0L N/A which has an engine tapping noise on cold start. Its a tapping rather than a rattle and does’nt sound “chainy”. The noise goes away after 10mins when the engine warms up and does’nt reappear until the next cold start. I bought the car this year with the best assurance that the timing chain tensioners had been changed out for the latest steel ones. Wondered if anyone else had this prob. Any advice much appreciated. Rgds. Charlie.

It’s quite common, had it on mine, for the VVT solenoids to sound a bit ‘tappetty’. Nothing to worry about.

Of course, that’s just my opinion and whether or not you act on it is up to you.

Thanx Gary. Will investigate a bit further. Just wondering why the tapping goes off after warm up. Rgds.

Hi Gary,

I’m researching this trying to find out whats involved in changing out the VVT solenoids or assembly to illiminate the noise. Do you know anyone who has done the job? Rgds. Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

I’m afraid I don’t know anyone who has done it but, I just typed VVT Solenoids in the search bar on the X300 page and got lots of threads. Probably worth you trying it.

Good luck,
Gary

Thanx Gary will do. i’m rather hoping that changing out the VVT assys might not be that bad a job to do but really need to talk to someone who has done it. Rgds. Charlie.

Hi Gary,

I read that it helps to flush the engine & change oil filter. Just wondered if you’d done this & what was used to flush the engine? Rgds…Charlie.

From memory it was Wynns Engine Flush.

Ok thanx. I have that. Wynns generally works i’ve found. Rgds.

Hello folks,
An update on this. I flushed it with Wynns and changed the oil/filter and the tapping was reduced but not illiminated. It looks as clean as a whistle so intend to run it for a while (1000 miles) and thought of giving ti another flush.
Also thought of removing the VVT solenoid which is just one bolt and perhaps carefully cleaning them as i’ve been advised that the tapping is caused by dirt in the solenoids. Has anyone ever done this and to what effect.
Any further advice appreciated…Charlie.

This is another option

Thanx for that. I could change out the solenoids but seeking advice from someone who has had this prob and fixed it. Rgds…Charlie.