X350 mysterious AC fan behavior

My wife just returned from shopping to report that the AC in her 2004 X350 just stopped.

I went outside to investigate and turned on the car whereupon the AC blower started BRIEFLY and then stopped. The brief interlude was enough to indicate that the car was charged and would blow cold air if it blew at all.

This seeming intermittant things has never happened before to me nor have I ever heards of it.

f the brain trust has any ikling please let me know as Texas in the summer is not bearable without AC and this is SWMBO were talking about here.

Best, Brian

The climate control module will likely have faults logged.
You will need a dealer level diagnostic to read the codes but they are there.
or we can guess (let the guessing begin)

bob

Could just be the fan relay. Swap it with another.

At least for today the AC seems to be fixed. How did it happen?
Well, after hours of searching the internet for diagrams and ideas of how to troubleshoot this problem I cam across a video.

This video - Jaguar X Type Air Con Fix After Battery Change - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgHrLaz2Asg is about the X-Type, but I figure what the hell, I’ll try it. I had no confidence it would work, but it was a Jaguar so perhaps they used the same protocols on my X350.

We will see, but for today, at least, reordering the AC doors seemed to have helped. The relay is still suspect and I have not stopped my research into it’s location and testing.

Brian,

THANKS for the update! Yours is one of those “textbook” perfect posts! I have permanently put it in my x350 folder!

Richard

Just to confirm, today I just went on a small errand and used the X350 and the AC still worked!

Wonder of wonders. Miracle of miracles!

I’v e never been able to fix a potentially horrendous time consuming and expensive problem easier. If it wasn’t for the internet and folks like the one who made the video I referenced, I’d probably still be searching in vain for an answer.

The revelation of ‘secrets’ that are housed inside this Jaguar - any modern Jaguar - are precisely what would make owning one fo these a real pleasure instead of the sometimes real pain it is.

So, what other ‘secrets’ does anyone know about that fixes (or re-calibrates) Jaguar problems? Care to share them?

Alas, probably not.

SIGH … well this fix has turned out to have occasional quote marks around it. It mostly has worked and on short local trips has always worked. When on longer ones of an hour or so it has quit working a couple of times. I could resuscitate it with the procedure, but that really seems now only a stopgap.

Of course, the weather has been and expects to be beastly hot so I am loathe to get into the the process of sussing it out. It seems heat rtelated though - the longer it works correctly, the more a component heats up and )(it seems) is then lore likely to stop because of the internal heat generated.

Idf it is the relay, of course, that would make sense. If it is the climate “brain” then I’d say it acts more like a heat related seperation of some soldered component only to work when it cooled down sufficiently.

I am perplexed and a bit bummed out by the absence of help out in the etherworld. I am loathe to go to the dealer as I have always reliably relied on the Pattern Failures as recorded here and, hopefully, elsewhere.

So I am casting a wider net in the hopes that those pattern failure gods will show themselves and we can move on.

For the cost of a relay, I would have thought you would have swapped it out by now, even if it’s to eliminate it.

I know ppl don’t like part swapping. But if you don’t change anything, the car won’t fix itself.

Well Andy after much research and consideration I did order the “relay”. Part of the problem is, of course, the thing is called the AC blower control module and after I found that out it was a little easier. Also I came across post where a dealer in Houston will not even schedule a car with AC problems like this into their shop if they do not have the module on hand. It is that ubiquitous a problem. Either they or some other tech said these are replaced very often as the culprits. It seems to me that the occurrences are enough to codify them coming under the heading of a Pattern Failure.

I did order one today so I hope that it the case. Evidently Jaguar wants $212 each at the stealer with a further $545 for their ministrations. Amazon has them at $73 each and the repair costs to buy the parts is about $5 - $20. Once you know what you are looking for things get a little easier.

The dealer item has longer cooling fins, but my '04 has lasted some 15 years on the old shorter ones.

Once I get the otem and install it I will give more details.

Oh, and BTW, I found out hoe to get the in-car system to reveal any HVAC codes along with a the explanation of each one - so no dealer involvement.