X350 Parking sensors; How to find faults

Hi guys!

A friend’s X350 Super V8 had a couple of faulty parking sensors; one at the front and one at the rear. He had identified them as faulty by moving in on each sensor and these two didn’t sound the buzzer.

I helped him replace the two sensors with other, supposedly working secondhand ones, but them nothing worked!

There is only a long buzzer sound upon selecting reverse, and none of the sensors senses anything.

Hove do I diagnose the sensors??

Kind regards,
Bard Thomas

I would start by reconnecting the original sensors and check that problem reverts back as before! Then swop a known working sensor from the car with one of the suspect ones to establish if it is the sensor at fault or other components of the system eg wiring/modules etc.
Working methodically, keeping records and reverting back are the key points.

The best way is to interrogate the MODULE!!!
The parking aid module has ALL the DTCs stored.
The module sounds the error tone when it detects a fault.

It ‘might’ be worth it to have the car diagnosed with a proper scan tool but many shops or the dealer will charge a minimum shop time.

good luck.

bob

1 Like

Ok, I think I kept one of the original sensors (the other I split open to try and understand why it failed… nothing obvious sprung to mind). So, I guess I can swap around and see. I just wanted to obtain a greater understanding of the system before mocking about too much with it…

Before we replaced the two faulty sensors earlier, there was a message in the diagnostic display saying “Driver intervene”. The message disappeared after the replacement, but has now - after our last rummage - re-appeared.

I am to understand that it is prudent to get the car diagnosed with errors cancelled after working on parking sensors?

Regards,
Bard

After I read the DTCs from any module and repair the fault, I always clear all the DTCs so the next diagnosis will NOT show the fault that was already fixed!!

Sometimes you can muddle through a problem and not need to interrogate the module but it sure makes life easier to know what the module thinks is wrong!!

bob