X350 touch screen sat nav

Hardly mission-critical I know. But while I’m waiting for parts I have been fiddling with the touch screen. The sat nav is pretty crude by today’s standards but it came to life and indicated the car was parked in my road - which is a comfort… The map DVD contains the map data only, or does it contain the ‘operating system’ for the touch screen? I ask because according to the owner’s booklet there is supposed to be an option to set the display to 2D or 3D view - in Display Options. That button does not appear on my screen (I haven’t gone through the whole book looking for other differences) so I’m wondering if the operating system itself can be updated, rather than just the maps, and if so perhaps the one loaded in my car isn’t as up to date as it might be. Or is the o/s in firmware on a chip in there somewhere and not susceptible to upgrade…

Apparently I have the last version of the maps (2012), but it’s on a home-made DVD-R, not a factory disc.

I remember a TSB when I worked at the Jaguar dealer that the 3D view was eliminated with a certain DVD (software) version. I can’t remember where the TSB is but it is somewhere in my collection of Jag info.

Here is some info for you to read about NAV system. I wish you would include MY as there are model/date specific TSBs.

26tl-07-2004.pdf (142.2 KB)
XJ419-S524am Navigation Control Module.pdf (102.3 KB)
XJ419-03 Navigation System.pdf (89.1 KB)
Nav Diagnostics Menu.pdf (901.0 KB)

bob

Jaguar calls the touch screen the Telematics Console and as it also
controls the air con, radio, CD etc., I would expect the O/S, as you
call it, to be stored locally, but no doubt upgradable via the SDS
diagnostic system.

However, you would have to talk to a Jaguar as to whether a S/W upgrade
is available.

2012 is indeed the last version for this particular Sat Nav system (the
later Sat Nav system is different and not compatible).

I believe the DVD holds the maps and the S/W that controls the Sat Nav
functions.

HTH
Chris C

Justin Hill wrote:

thanks Bob - I’ll read these docs. My car is one of the very first X350s, registered in January 2003 vin G00819.

Thanks Chris. Another car, another whole raft of new stuff to learn about…