X350 Transmission Service

I have a 2004 XJ8 with 73k miles. Yes that’s low mileage for the vintage but it’s still 16 years old. If the transmission has been serviced, I have no record of it.

So that being said - should I service the transmission? Some say yes, some say only if I have a problem, some say servicing will create a problem, some say drain and fill, some say flush, others say don’t flush so I don’t know what the hell to do now - $750 for service is painful but $4000 for a new transmission would hurt even worse.

Also is the shift from 1-2 typically firm? All the other gears shift so smooth I can barely feel it.

The fact you’ve mentioned the 1st to 2nd gear change indicates it’s time to change the oil and filter. No need to flush though you will get a new oil pan, gasket and filter.

I meant firm in comparison to other shifts which are remarkably smooth. Being my first Jaguar, I have nothing to compare it to.

So pretty much drain and fill is what you’re recommending? Some say if I do that, I’m only replacing about half the fluid because of the fluid in the torque converter - is that ok?