X350 XJ8 2005 ,,Fitting a Reversing Camera

I need to locate the Power to the reverse lights.Also it would be to great to “talk” to someone who has done this on this particular car. Please comment!!

Clearly no-one has done this and are willing to share their experience. I will share some aspects of the project as I go!
The kit is typical of many, and has the following items : a screen/rear view mirror combo , a wiring harness , and wiring clips , plus instructions in semi English in keeping with its country of origin.
Phase 1 :: The system is designed to operate on 12V which is picked from the rear back up lamps. The first challenge is to find the best route forward for the harness . So…it was now necessary to remove from the trunk all the inner face covers so that the best choice could be made…The same applies to the rear seat which had to be removed to ensure that no damage is done to to crucial fittings on either side of the rear bulkhead. Once a clear view on both front and rear faces of the bulkhead was available, I chose to drill my hole in the cerntre of the plastic harness mount .The hole of course had to be wide enough for the end plugs to pass through.I am now almost ready for the next step of finishing the front wiring positioning and screen testing.

John,

I have installed the reverse camera mirror on several of my older Rolls Royses/Bentleys! I used the wireless system. You connect the wireless transmitter to the camera which is connected to reverse lights. The wireless receiver is connected to the mirror which attaches over the original mirror. This is awesome because you do NOT have to run the long wire through the car which is intimidating. Mine work perfectly! I’m attaching the link for the transmitters, but they are included in the WIRELESS kits!

PS. I have some that record from the front as well as the rear when driving, but have the backup camera in reverse.

Richard

Hi Richard, I thank you for yr response, with some very relevant information.I note that you connect to the reverse light for power to the camera and transmitter . This means that you have to uncover the wiring in the trunk. . I have not yet been able to get the power from the reverse light system because its a complicated place with three bulbs powered by a muddle of many coloured wires!! ( power is currently supplied from the car’s battery until I solve the puzzle !! ) I also note that you have a mirror receiver that fits over the cars oe mirror. That’s good…mine is too bulky, so it must fit elsewhere!!.Regards, John H

I used a simple test light. Put the car in reverse which will send power the reverse light bulb (s). Find which wire is the positive wire (going to the bulb) with the test light and connect the camera/transmitter to it. The negative can be anywhere on the chassis such a bolt.

Hope this helps!

Richard

I understand what you are saying…Oh that it is that simple!.On my 2005 X350 car, the rear light (s ) is collection of 3 bulbs in a net work of wires, and a simple solution has avoided me. Using a test meter on V ( olt ) I cannot find a 12V supply. Voltage is variable depending on the wire you test. I will get a pic and post to the forum.

Undestand, John. I have a 2005 XJ8VP as well. Pull the rear tailight assembly from either side. You will see the backup bulb. Splice in your camera to the positive wire going to the bulb socket itself. Another way is the unplug the taillight assembly and probe with your test light the small prongs at the plugin (from the car ) to find which one is “hot” or positive when in reverse. I always use a test light as it instantly will light up when there is power.

I’ve installed several on different vehicles, XJS, Allante, TR7, Silverado. Going with wireless should work on the 2005, but on my 92 XJS, the rear bulkhead is all metal, so with the boot lid closed, the RF from the transmitter has a hard time getting to the receiver, so it cuts in and out. I will be hard wiring that one, by running the cable through the battery drain hole and along the brake lines to the firewall and in through the hood latch cable path. All the rest that I have done were hardwired, because there was an easy path to the dash. As Richard said, the best source for the power to the camera is the wire to the bulb socket. The monitor is usually always on, so when it detects video, it displays the image.