XJ 12 steering rack rebuild

Hi every I have just stripped my 1979 series 3 v12 rack, you can rebuild this yourself take off what you know you can do ie gaiters track rods & nuts knock back locking tabs undo nuts holding arms (very tight) next undo pipes, take out the pinion then undo the slotted big ring right-hand thread I used a blunt Chisel. Inside you can see another tube with a circlip down inside, I then put the alloy end in the vice by the two bush holders got the alloy part warm not hot, and turned the steel tube with a big pair of stillsons & and a big tube over the end and started to undo (see photos) pulled out the inner tube not sure if you can get inner part out without taking steel tube off it took 2 hours to turn this tube out (see all photos) cost me £50 UK pounds for parts make sure to clean parts properly then refit new seals.Bob.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for joining & posting, did you get it leak free? Even the better diy owners seem to struggle with that. Not that this would scare me much if more people said it was possible to get it to seal. Mine‘s still good but the day will come.
Cheers
David

Hi sorry for this got so excited forgot to add photos

Add images

Add images

A

dd images Hi David came away for a few days after strip & clean but have got all the confidence it will be okay ii take care when rebuilding any item. Will update when refitted? not foreseeing any probs no wear on any metal parts, will use lock tight on the tube on reassembling it Bob.

Hi, David came away for a few days after strip & clean but not foreseeing any probs all metal parts are very good but will update when finished Bob.

1 Like

There are two common problems when people rebuild their own racks. First, they booger up the rack seals sliding them over the teeth on the rack. Official recommendation is to wrap the teeth with electrical tape, but apparently that only works sometimes. More reliable is the suggestion to slide the seal over the teeth before pressing the seal into the housing, and then pressing it into the housing when it’s already on the shaft. Supposedly works great – although maybe use the electrical tape too?

The other problem is the seal at the steering shaft at the top. It’s easily damaged when trying to install, and it’s stupid expensive to buy separately for some reason.

Hi thank you for that, rebuilding mine on Wednesday 1st Dec, can understand that teeth are sharp, mine was leaking at the top also. many thanks for that Bob.