[xj] 1981 XJ6 series III BW 66 trouble

Hi

I am new to the list and also new to my 1981 XJ6.
I need help in relation to the transmission.
It was working great untill I replaced the filter and pan gasket.
I topped up with Dexron lll.
Now the darn thing gives a sreech and judder when shifting out of
first.
The car takes off in a very positive way and once the screech and
judder is over during the first shift all seems to be okay.

Have I screwed up my transmission. Thank you for your help in advance.

Mike Fleming

Hello

I did the same thing and I am experiencing the same and I wonder if you found anything

Check fluid level in any case, Kevin - both too high and too low will cause box misbehaviour…

Level should be checked while idling - after passing the lever through all positions. Preferably with the box hot…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hey Frank

Thanks

I was trying to check it cold and was about 1.5 qts low. Topped it and all is good

Kevin

Mike,
The correct transmission fluid for your BW66 is Type F and not DEXRON. I am not smart enough about the difference between the two fluids but there have been posts on this list in the past about problems that have ocvurred when transmission fluids other than Type F were used in a BW66.
BTW, my local auto parts stores all carry Type F.

Paul

1 Like

Oh, is that so?
It’s been ages since I’ve owned a S3 or remember what was required for the bw65/66.

Wished to jump on as if that’s the case it is imperative to use TypeF if that’s what’s recommended and change it ASAP.

Anything else will burn the clutches.
Type F adds friction goop to create more positive/direct shifting and if recommended must be used.

Dexron et al. should never be substituted from all i had researched on the subject and ppl spoken with, as it will create less positive shifts and slipping…etc.

Earlier BW boxes call for TypeF too so no surprise.

It was a very solid consensus by those in the know.
I wouldn’t play around or accept any other differences in opinion.

On an unrelated note, if wanting to drag race, don’t rev within N or P and drop it into D!

There is some pin that blows out on the BW65/66 … apparently common issue.
Replaced mine w John’s Cars conversion using th350 after that! A lifetime ago…

Your screeching issue I never knew.

If I were you, I’d pump it all out using the oil cooler line at the front of car, but that’s me.

A couple quarts or so at a time, shut car off, replenish, repeat…then drop pan, etc.
Changing pan fluid alone does not get all the fluid out as you should well know.

The bw65/66 is a rather fragile gearbox unlike earlier iterations, with reputation as a “slush box” as it is…

One wants to do everything possible to encourage positive shift points.

I wouldn’t play around.
If it calls for TypeF, use TypeF…

It does call for Type F. Try finding that in Europe for a reasonable price. So I’m using Dexron III and it works just fine: maybe the clutches take a bit longer to engage because the Dexron has more friction modifiers, so the shift might me slightly harsher; but a few have done that, without screeching.
Please and with all due respect do not mystify the transmission. It is a hydraulic machine, almost like a computer, and all issues have causes. Can we find them - well I don’t know, but we can try with what we know.

I can check tomorrow, maybe the fault finding section of the manual gives a clue. In the meantime you can check the level (park, running, hot after at least ten miles of driving if possible) [and top up if necessary, or remove some oil. It is not likely the oil grade.] And search the forum for binding, squeaking, creaking and so on in first gear. It happens during the change?

David

Ah, you fixed it. Stick to Dexron until you find Type F; no need to hurry here at all.

Second that, David - there is no cause for alarm. My box has used appopriate Dexron throughout - and at 240 000 km it still shifts perfectly…:slight_smile:

As you say; as bands and clutches engage - fluid is forced out allowing firm, non slip, contact. A controlled slip occurs while fluid is still being squeezed out - and this brief slip causes ‘no’ mechanical wear. Using more ‘grippy’ fluid may shorten the ‘slip time’ - but it is not a hill of beans…

But slipping after engaging is to be addressed pretty pronto - it is not a fluid type issue…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)