XJ needs to be moved after 20 years... help please

They won’t tick, it’s one and that will whirr a little if the transmission is in R or D and the key held in the crank position. I might just wing it and crank the engine, or get a 33mm wrench and a long bar to turn it. It’s hard enough to turn by hand if it’s been run recently, if the belts won’t slip.

I‘d happily do that over studying! Well I‘m positive that this will improve greatly once we can go back. And I’d happily do it either way - too bad that time is critical for Max.

The handbrake never works but it might, but do never rely on it or the P position (the transmission can bind in P and then good luck unloading the pawl…), so some beams are a great idea. Or proper chocks. It wouldn’t matter if the engine runs a little rough from old fuel as long as it gets up the ramp. The good news is that a tow truck is always available when it’s not going so swimmingly :slightly_smiling_face:

After 20 years standing; the discs are likely rusted - which will prevent ‘spinning’ until actual braking cleans them up. As Aristides say; turning is all you need - and ‘oiling’ the discs will just contaminate the pads…

However; if the handbrake was ‘on’ for twenty years it poses an extra problem…:slight_smile:

As an aside; there is no interlock between the gear lever and the brake pedal like on modern cars…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hello Jochen. My name is Max and I added that to the profile now. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

That’s incredibly kind of you. Maybe we can work something out in the semester break. I have 3 more days here and I meeting with a tow guy tomorrow to look at the situation and we still have to figure out transport details. My sisters are here till end of the month but I have to go back to uni by next week so I want to leave as much of the car situation done before I go.

Cool thanks for the info. Good to know

Yea looks like that’s all it is. Ironically the disks are actually not rusted on the shiny side. just everything attached to it is… considering my VW gets rust on the dist after like 3 weeks of sitting this is impressive…

So I know this is yet a bit premature since the car hasn’t moved up the ramp yet…
The current plan was to borrow a trailer (I have a friend who is willing to lend it to me) and drive from Germany here pick it up and go back. Issue is the weight of the car. The trailer I have at disposal is 600kg empty and the car is 1780kg and the max trailer weight is 2400kg. So that works out perfect but I currently only have cars that are allowed to tow 2200 - 2300kg.

Worst scenario, also with that virus out making driving at night a problem. Any of you know a company that is reasonably priced for a trans euro transfer? the problem is really I am on a a but tight on time.

Not sure of how it works or if legal, but could you transfer 80kg of parts to your towing vehicle? Depends on your tool set and the size of your towing vehicle.

Maybe 1780 is including fuel and driver?
Rest tomorrow. Transport isn’t all that expensive normally (figure in fuel…)

Indeed is, Max - but the lack of ‘spin’ may also be due to ‘solidified’ hub grease. Of little consequence…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Max;

Only slightly over the weight limit for the tow. Unless you have weight stations, I see it as doable. And, as Anjum suggests, move 80 kg’s to the tow vehicle. Spare tire, seats, fluids. ? Hopefully, big enough. In our USA speak, Minimum 3/4 ton van or pickup. !/2 tonners will do it, but at a strain…

Best of luck with that high adventure…

Carl

1 Like

I think that if the curb weight includes full tanks and the driver (as it is poften done) we are comfortably below that legal weight. If not let’s drain the fluids and put the spare into the other car. It’s a long way to drive though so a few phone calls should help. It’s profitable to tow cars from the UK to Poland, so it might be a very easy decision!

Of course it should be a runner then, that is at least start and run somewhat reliably. Unless they do take non-runners which they most certainly will do as long as they are prepared.
If I were you I would try to move the car a bit by any means and attempt to turn the engine with the plugs removed, then go from there. Anything fuel-related can be figured out and it seems to be in a good state optically.

Important side note, never trust the jack, or any jack for that matter. Bare minimum is the spare shoved under the car and don’t crawl under it.

This is the empty weight according to the papers (Fahrzeugschein). Thanks for the hint. I just googled it and you are right. Number 32 is defined (§42 der StVZO) as empty full fuel before 2004 and 90% fuel and 75kg driver after 2004. So yes if they were to weigh the car it would work out with the spare tire removed for sure. This is just a legal thing. Try explaining that to a french police man in English…haha But yea looks like this problem is solved. I am getting nowhere with the Spanish tow guys.

2 Likes

Back to considering a “come along” or small power winch. Any tool rental places nearby?

Or, in USA, road service insurance. "come get my car and I’[ll take it home…

Carl

Indeed, Carl, it is grossly negligent to own a Jag in Germany without ADAC premium membership;-)

If you do, just call their int’l telephone ++4989 22 22 22 and tell them your car won’t start … much like James Bond always has Felix Leiter and the “cavalry” joining for the showdown Germans travelling abroad use their car club for similar purposes!

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

would love to see their faces when you say. hey my car wont start… like it’s not obvoius that the car hasnt moved in 20 years…haha. My sis is premium member and just suggested to change the plates… we had a good laugh.

1 Like

A lot of areas not covered by the pix, but overall, it doesn’t look too bad.

Here a german guy offering car transport service up to 1900kg:

NAYY

1 Like

N o need to switch plates with my road service. If I am stramded in any car, they will get me home.

Daughter as well with hers. did it a couple of years ago,. Had my jeep. it ran out of gas !!! it is a thirsty critter… fuel guage showed 14 ???

Carl

Alright Boys and Girls,

IT`S DONE! >>THANK YOU so much for all of your help. Car is up the ramp without any major damage. The only thing is that the guy who got it up had to use the brake and put it in Park on the ramp. I know this is was specifically said here not to do. They had to change the wire hook in the middle because the ramp is so steep that it lifted the front of the car enough for the car to go sideways once the tow truck went out the exit putting a side load on tow. Not sure if that makes sense to you but the car was skidding toward the wall. Looks like the brakes actually still hold the weight of the car without getting stuck. So that is a good thing I suppose.

Not sure if the P in the transmission is going to bite me in the … Let me know what you think, but what’s done is done.

I got some pictures for you guys:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6

3 Likes